Thursday, March 15, 2007


John Jacob Lawrence
March 7, 1827 – March 27, 1898

John Jacob Lawrence was born on March 7, 1827 in Washington County, Pennsylvania, the son of Congressman Joseph B. Lawrence and his second wife, Sarah (AKA Marie) Bucher. (More about Congressman Joseph B. Lawrence: In 1838 he was a candidate for Congress, defeated by seventeen votes, but elected in 1840. He died in Washington, D. C., April 7, 1842.).

John Jacob Lawrence served during the Civil War, to whit: JOHN JACOB LAWRENCE Captain 125th Penna. Infantry Aug. 15, 1862; Major Aug. 16, 1862; honorably mustered out May 18, 1863. Colonel 46th Penna. Militia Infantry.

John Jacob Lawrence was involved with paint and color manufacturing and was for a time a partner of Moses B. Suydam. The parent factory was located on Rebecca (Reedsdale) Street. Originally engaged in the manufacture of Dutch-processed white lead, other products of the paint industry gradually were added as the firm expanded under a series of reorganizations. Successively it became W. G. Stockton and Company; Suydam, Lawrence and Company (1878); M. B. Suydam and Company (1885), and the M. B. Suydam Company (1900). Each company in turn prospered and each served as the spring-board from which the next was formed. The paint products of the M B Suydam company were used by many of the largest bridge building firms in Western Pennsylvania, including, Carnegie Steel and Jones and Laughlin Steel.

John Jacob Lawrence was a director of the Masonic Bank, along with SFF&HC members Robert Pitcairn, E. A. Myers, Aaron French and John Caldwell.

At the time of the Flood, Colonel J. J. Lawrence, was Vice-President of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club.

John J. Lawrence married Anna E. ?

Here is their Allegheny PA household in 1880…(the enumerator misspells the last name as “Laurence”)…


J J Lawrence – age 53 – Lead and Oil Manufacturer (born 1827)

Anna E. Lawrence – age 50 – Keeping House (born 1830)

W. W. Lawrence – age 21 – Clk Manufacturer

Teresa M. Lawrence – age 19 (born 1861)

Anna M. Lawrence – age 16 (born 1864)

J. J. Lawrence Jr. – age 14 (born 1866)

Mary S. Lawrence – age 12 (born 1868)

* * * * *

John Jacob Lawrence, Jr. married Louise Andrews.

Their children include:

Louise Lawrence ()

John Jacob Lawrence III ()

William Watson Lawrence ()

Miriam Lawrence ()

Their home in Sewickley was called “Glen Osborne”.

John J. Lawrence was involved with railroads. On Feb 20, 1870, the Allegheny Valley Railroad was opened to Oil City proper. And two years later extensive terminal facilities were acquired. In 1873, Colonel William Phillips was still president of the road, and J. J. Lawrence was its general manager.

He was also listed as a general superintendent of the Erie and Pittsburgh Railroad. President-W. L. Scott. General Superintendent--John J. Lawrence. General Ticket Agent--J: A. Burch. General Business Office-Erie, Pa.

* * *

William Watson Lawrence...

Q. When was the Paint and Varnish building at the foot of the Duquesne Incline abandoned, and what's the plan for it? -- Dennis Bateman, Corliss

A. At the turn of the century, William Watson Lawrence was probably Pittsburgh's most respected paint manufacturer. But today he is remembered not for the buildings his paint protected and beautified, but for the building he left behind -- a once-handsome structure whose badly weathered exterior is now perhaps the worst advertisement imaginable for "W. W. Lawrence & Company Paints and Varnishes."

There's a lesson for us all in this little irony. Lawrence founded his company in 1884, and enjoyed considerable success: A 19th-century advertisement boasted that in addition to various military contracts, "Last spring by order of the Secretary of the Treasury every Light House on the Atlantic coast was painted with The Lawrence Paints."

By the late 1800s, Lawrence was himself a beacon of Pittsburgh business. He expanded his operations into a massive South Side factory, which was completed in 1902. Topped by a white wooden tower containing water tanks for the paint and the building's sprinkler system, the facility boasted six floors and 100,000 feet of floor space. Those floors were some 10 inches thick, supported by oaken columns each more than three feet square. Such heavy construction was necessary to support the massive vats needed to mix and store the paint -- which in those days contained large amounts of lead.

The paint factory closed in 1973, and at first developers were anxious to renovate it. The site, after all, is ideal: Its view of the Point makes it perfect for luxury apartments or offices, while its proximity to the Duquesne Incline makes it a natural site for a restaurant or tourist attraction such as a museum or urban mall. The interior offers exciting possibilities as well. Developers wistfully spoke of the "forest of wood" inside the building. In a 1988 treatise on the factory kept on file by the Heinz Regional History Center, Carnegie Mellon student Natalie Gillespie observed that its interior was dominated by "massive oak pillars and high balconies or mezzanines with circular openings for paint vats" -- gaps that "could be incorporated in the building design for dramatic effect."

So far, however, what's been most dramatic about the building are the failures of those who've tried to renovate it. It's as if once they set foot inside, they contract the lethargy that comes from snacking on too many lead paint chips. Plans to turn the building into luxury condominiums, office space, a history museum, and shopping destination for tourists have all languished, largely because the sheer mass of its wooden floors and beams have made it too costly to renovate .

Nor has there been much progress since Cleveland-based Forest City Enterprises acquired the factory along with the Station Square complex in 1994. The company did once tell the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette it hoped to decide what to do with the building "soon" ... but that was in 1995. "We really haven't even addressed it yet," confirms Eve Bursic, Forest City's Station Square general manager. She does say there are no plans to tear it down -- which, given the building's history and appealing facade, would be a terrible loss -- but beyond that, "nothing has been decided."
So for now, at least, the future of the W. W. Lawrence Paint factory looks to be about as exciting as watching paint dry. Or, in this case, fade. -- Chris Potter, "You Had To Ask";



James McGregor
1835? – After 1895

James McGregor is one of the more elusive members of the Club in spite of the fact that he made one of the most callous comments to the press immediately following the Flood. The National Flood Memorial says he was an attorney and had obtained the rank of major. If that is so, then the other historic records of Pittsburgh’s contributions to the Civil War indicate that Pittsburgh lawyer James McGregor was mustered in on April 24,1861, enlisting as a lieutenant and rising to the rank of major.

In addition, here is what we do know about James McGregor

The SFF&HC member James McGregor was a director of the Allegheny National Bank along with fellow SFF&HC member John Caldwell Jr.

James McGregor married Margaret Mackey, who was born in Scotland in 1852. Margaret was the daughter of William (born 1823) and “Sabilla” (probably Isabella) (born 1820) Mackey, who with their family had immigrated to Pittsburgh sometime after 1860 but before 1870. They lived in the City of Allegheny, where William was enumerated as a skilled professional saddler.

James and Margaret Mackey McGregor had at least the following child:

Lyda “Lide” G. McGregor (born circa 1875) She married George L. Farrell (born circa 1872) of Columbus Ohio on October 7, 1896 in Pittsburgh, PA.

In the Pittsburgh and Allegheny Blue Book of 1895 Mrs. James McGregor (nee Margaret Mackey) and her daughter Lide G. McGregor are listed as living at 362 Highland Avenue, in the East End. Mr. McGregor is not listed with them, which suggests that either he had died or they had divorced by this time.

A separate listing for James McGregor in the 1880 census has him in a boarding house on Penn Avenue, enumerated as a self-employed lawyer and as married, even though no spouse is listed at the same address. This suggests the possibility that a short-lived marriage between James and Margaret may have occurred, sometime after 1870 and was over by 1880.

* * *
If James and Margaret were indeed divorced, there is a possibly that James McGregor had sometime after 1889 (when we KNOW he was in Pittsburgh, given his idiotic comment to the newspapers about the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club's dam), gone west to Utah, as there is a James McGregor who served a director of the Crescent Mining Company in the 1890s, as the following indicates…

“The annual meeting of the Crescent Mining Company was held on Wednesday the 15th at Salt Lake; James McGregor, who has been superintendent of the company for the past year, is now elected also to the Executive Committee. (Pitchard, Park Record, Park City, 18 October 1890) ...”
”An item which notices that James McGregor is the managing director of the Crescent Mining Company. (Pitchard, Salt Lake Daily Herald, 22 March 1891)”

These would be in keeping with the fact that earlier a James McGregor had been superintendant of the Loyalhanna Mine of the Loyalhanna Coal and Coke Co. in Western Pennsylvania.

* * *
Further speculation…

The census records for Pittsburgh and Allegheny are interesting but not specifically helpful.

If we look at the records for the 1870 census we find a James McGregor who is in charge of the U. S. Pensions Office in Pittsburgh, an important post coordinating the pensions of Civil War survivors and their spouses. He is enumerated as age 35 (so would have been born in 1835) and married to an Eliza ? with two children: Frances age ten (born in 1860) and Margaret age eight (born in 1862). If this is one and the same as the SFF&HC member than he was married twice, first to Eliza and then thereafter to Margaret Mackey.

In the 1880 census James is enumerated as a self-employed lawyer, as mentioned above and living at a boarding house on Penn Avenue. This having been said, he is also listed as age 49, which would mean either that one of the census records is incorrect or that one of these is not the SFF&HC James McGregor.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007


1857- after 1904 (?)

John King Ewing was the son of John K. and Ellen L. Ewing. They made their home in Uniontown, Fayette County. There, John K Ewing began his career in the real estate business, but by 1884 he had removed to Pittsburgh and continued his career there.

Mr. John K. Ewing established himself in the business of real estate, rents and loans in 1884, the firm later becoming John K. Ewing Co; the members of which are John K. Ewing and his cousin, James C. Ewing. They have handsome office premises at No. 64 Federal Street, Allegheny, and advertised themselves, creative, as “Authority on Allegheny real Estate.”

John King Ewing married Mary B. “Birdie” Stockdale, the daughter of Jackman Taylor Stockdale and Mary J. Calhoun.
(Jackman Stockdale held interests in Standard Oil).

John K and Birdie Ewing had at least one child:

Mr. John King Ewing, II ()

In 1904 their home was at 1023 North Highland Avenue, Pittsburgh.


Hilary J. Brunot
July 24, 1824 – June 9, 1900

Hilary Jackson Brunot was born on 24 Jul 1824 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co, PA. He died either on June 9, 1900 or on June 10, 1899 in Greensburg, Westmoreland Co, PA, depending on sources.

Hilary J. Brunot was educated in Sewickley Academy and Western University of Pittsburg. Leaving school he was engaged for a short time in the white lead business. In 1845 he engaged in civil engineering and assisted Nathan McDowell to make test surveys for slackwater navigation on the Monongahela river. In 1849 he went with a Pittsburg company to California, where he remained two years.

In 1851 he returned to Pennsylvania and helped locate and survey the Allegheny Valley Railroad. In 1854 he resigned from the engineer corps and went to Indiana, where he married and then purchased a stock farm in Rock Island county, Illinois, upon which he resided for five years.

In 1859 he removed to Fayette county. Pennsylvania, where he was engaged in farming and speculation in coal lands until 1873, when he came to Greensburg. Since then he has been dealing in coal, oil and gas lands. He was one of the pioneers of the natural gas business, and with the Haymaker brothers put down the first well at Murrysville.

In 1883 he started the Daily and Weekly Press, one of the leading papers of the country, which now has far more than a local circulation. During the late war, Mr. Brunot was mustered into the service of the United States at Camp Howell., July 2, 1863, and served until August 16, 1863, when the. regiment, the fifty-fourth, Pennsylvania Volunteers, was disbanded and he was discharged.

Hilary J. Brunot married, at Boone Grove, Indiana, July 12, 1855. Mary Bissell. Mary Bissell was born on 27 Jul 1834 in Mercer Co, PA, the daughter of Sarah Cory and William Bissell. Mary Bissell Brunot died on 5 Sep 1910 in Greensburg, Westmoreland Co, PA.

Mary Bissell and Hilary Jackson Brunot were married on 12 Jul 1855 in Boone Grove, Porter Co, IN.

Their children were:

- Ann Elizabeth, wife of Hilary B. Brunot, Brevard, North Carolina

- Mary Caroline, widow of Dr. I. P. Klingensmith, of Blairsville, Pennsylvania

- Hilary Sanson, United States consul at St. Etienna, France. He was born on 4 Jun 1860 in Fayette Co, PA. He died on 14 Aug 1928.

- Sarah Louisa; William B., died at the age of nineteen years. She was born on 4 Jun 1860 in Fayette Co, PA. She died on 7 Mar 1932 in Greensburg, Westmoreland Co, PA.

- Felix R., a broker of Greensburg, Pennsylvania

- Melusina B., wife of Joseph K. Barclay, of Greensburg, Pennsylvania

- James Thompson, died in 1902, and was survived by his wife, Rose Latta Brunot

- (and an infant son), James T. Brunot

- Indiana Traner, died in infancy. She was born on 21 Jul 1876 in Greensburg, Westmoreland Co, PA. She died on 2 Nov 1877 in Greensburg, Westmoreland Co, PA.

- John Breton, of whom later.

* * *

Hilary J. Brunot died June 9, 1900.

* * *

John Breton Brunot, son of Hilary J. and Mary (Bissell) Brunot, was born at Greensburg, Pennsylvania, November 6, 1878, and received his education at the high school, Grove City College and University of Michigan. At the last named institution he took a three year law course, graduating June 19, 1902. He was admitted to the practice of his chosen profession in Westmoreland county, May, 1904. Shortly thereafter he became associated with J. R. Spiegel, under the firm name of Spiegel & Brunot, whose office is in the Press building at Greensburg, Pennsylvania. Politically Mr. Brunot is a supporter of the Republican party, and in church affiliations is an Episcopalian. He married, August 26, 1903, Alice E. Turner, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, daughter of John B. and Mary B. Turner. The father was an early settler and prominent business man of Cedar Rapids. Mr. and Mrs. Brunot have one son, John B. Brunot, Jr., born in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, November 9, 1904.

Source: Page(s) 135-137, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.

* * *

Brunot Family Ancestry, from the same source...

THE BRUNOT FAMILY is one of the old families of France, which first came into national prominence during the period of the religious wars in that country in the sixteenth century. Major Sanson Brunot (great-great-grandfather) was a distinguished officer in the French army and has a coat of arms (still in possession of the Brunot family), which was bestowed on him for meritorious conduct on the field of battle. His son, Dr. Felix Brunot (great-grandfather), was born in Parish Morey, France, January 9, 1752, and was a foster brother of General LaFayette. He was originally intended for "orders" by his uncle, a Catholic bishop, but experiencing an aversion for that calling he was permitted to enter upon the study of medicine. After graduation from one of the first medical schools of France he joined General LaFayette in his espousal of the patriotic cause in America. He came to this country in 1777, was appointed surgeon in the Continental army under Washington, and rendered invaluable service at the battle of Brandywine and on many other battle fields during the revolutionary war. At the close of that great struggle he was recognized as one of the most successful physicians and skillful surgeons in the new-risen Republic, in whose cause he had patriotically risked his life, and with whose destiny had unhesitatingly cast in his fortunes. No warmer hearted and more earnest friend of freedom than Dr. Brunot ever came to this continent, and no man's service was ever rendered in the cause, of American independence more devotedly than his. After the declaration of peace between Great Britain and the "Thirteen Colonies." Dr. Brunot located at Annapolis, Maryland, but soon removed to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he enjoyed a large practice and remained until 1797. In that year he came to Pittsburg and selected his place of residence on a beautiful island (now known as "Brunot's Island") in the Ohio river, a short distance below that city. At his island home he entertained his foster brother and comrades in arms, General LaFayette, and George Rogers Clarke and Herman Blennerhasset and many other prominent characters of American history. He subsequently removed to Liberty street, Pittsburg, where he died May 23, 1838. He was a public-spirited citizen, and after coming to Pittsburg always took a great interest in the growth and prosperity of that city. Dr. Brunot was twice married. His first wife was a lady of Annanolis, by whom he had one daughter, who married but died without issue. His second wife, Elizabeth Kreider, of Philadelphia, whom he married December 17, 1789, bore him six sons and one daughter. Of these sons, Breton and Casper were physicians: Sanson was a prominent minister in the Episcopal church and at one time was in charge of the church at Greensburg: Hilary served as a lieutenant in the United States army, and the other two, Felix and James M., became lawyers and settled in the southern states. James M. Brunot was the father of Hilary B. Brunot, now practicing law in Brevard. North Carolina. Susan Louisa was the only daughter.

Lieutenant Hilary Brunot (grandfather) was the fourth son and was born July 14, 1795, in a house that is still standing in Philadelphia, on the bank of the Schuylkill river. When quite young he entered the United States Military Academy at West Point, and was a member of one of the early classes which was graduated front that institution. After graduation he was commissioned as lieutenant in the United States regular army, and was wounded in the sortie at Fort Erie during the war of 1812, and was promoted to first lieutenant for gallantry in this battle. After the close of that struggle he was stationed respectively at Fort Snelling, Mackinaw, Green Bay and Newport. From the latter place, Kentucky, he was stationed at the Allegheny arsenal in Pittsburg. In 1825 resigned his command in the army and was engaged in the manufacture of white lead for many years. His works occupied the entire square upon which the Union depot in Pittsburg now stands. Lieutenant Brunot retired from active business in 1850, and died March 26, 1872. He was an earnest Christian, a man of great force of character, and was very active in politics. He was a Whig and later a Republican, and served for many years as a member of the city councils of Pittsburg. He married, May 6, 1819, Ann Tankard Reville, a daughter of Randell and Margaret Reville, of Newport. Kentucky. The Revilles were early settlers of Somerset county, Maryland. To Lieutenant and Mrs. Brunot were born nine children, of whom none are living. Felix R. Brunot, of Pittsburg, one of the children, was one of the most noted philanthropists of his day. (This Felix R. Brunot was the SFF&HC Hilary J. Brunot’s brother).


February 18, 1842 - April 18, 1894

Jesse H. Lippincott was a millionaire who had made his fortune from the glass industry.

He was born on 18 Feb 1842 in Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania the son of Joseph Lippincott and Eliza Strickler. He died on April 18, 1894 in Newton Centre, Massachusetts. He married twice, first to Mary Richardson () and secondly to Lily Richardson (). With his first wife he had at least two children.

Jesse H. Lippincott served in the Union Forces during the Civil War, as recorded: Jesse H. Lippincott, 28, B, Private, Transferred to Company H, 28th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers on April 29, 1864.

Lippincott was engaged in the glass making business. The Rochester Tumbler Company, which was the principle employer in Rochester, for 27 years, was organized in the spring of 1872. J H Lippincott was secretary and treasurer of the company as well as a director. At the peak of its success the company was making 150,000 tumblers a day and employed 1100 people. In 1899 it was taken over by the National Glass Company. On Feb 12, 1901, the entire factory was destroyed by fire.

Lippincott was associated with the Banner Baking Powder firm which became part of Nabisco (see the page on S S Marvin).

He was a director of the First National Bank of Rochester, in Beaver County. Jesse H Lippincott and P C Knox were directors of the Fifth National Bank of Pittsburgh, located at 16 Sixth Street, founded in 1871. And he was on the board of the Fifth National Bank of Pittsburgh along with another SFF&HC member: Jesse H. Lippincott, Geo. W. Huff, James C. Clark, John Lloyd, Richard Coulter.

In 1888, Jesse Lippincott for a million dollars took over the commercial exploitation of the Phonograph and the Graphophone (Alexander Bell’s invention) for a franchise of dictating machine companies. The North American Phonograph Company.

Edison’s laboratory, by 1887, had a workable prototype, based on a glass cylinder with a compound of steric acid, beeswax and ceresin as the recording medium. This attracted the interest of Jessie H. Lippincott, who was already in the glass business and saw an opportunity. Lippincott pulled off what Alexander Bell could not. After reaching an agreement between Gilliland, Bell and Tainter, Lippincott formed the North American Phonograph Company on March 29, 1888. In the process, he put the rivalry between Edison and Bell on the back burner, along with any patent issues.

MinutesOF THEThe North American Phonograph Company

CERTIFICATE OF THE ORGANIZATION OF THE NORTH AMERICAN PHONOGRAPH COMPANY. RECEIVED in the office of the Clerk of the County of Hudson on the 14th day of July, A.D. 1888 at 12 o'clock M., and recorded in Book 8 of Clerk's Records for said County, page 229, (Signed) Dennis McLaughlin, Clerk. Filed July 16, 1888.(Signed) Henry C. Kelsey, Sec'y of State.


THIS IS TO CERTIFY that we, Jesse H. Lippincott, Thomas R. Lombard, George S. Evans, George H. Fitzwilson and John Robinson do hereby associate ourselves into a company under and by virtue of the provisions of an Act of the Legislature of New Jersey, entitled "An Act concerning corporations" approved April 7, 1875, and the several supplements thereto, for the purposes hereinafter mentioned, and to that end we do by this, our certificate set forth:

FIRST -- That the name which we have assumed to designate such Company, and to be used in its business and dealings, is THE NORTH AMERICAN PHONOGRAPH COMPANY.

SECOND -- That the place in this State where the business of such Company is to be conducted is the City of Jersey City in the County of Hudson.

THE PRINCIPAL part of the business of said Company within this State is to be transacted in the said City of Jersey City in the County of Hudson, which is to be the principal place of business of said Company, and the place where its principal office is to be located. And the places out of this State where the same is to be conducted are the City of New York in the State of New York, and elsewhere throughout the United States and Canada.

AND THAT the objects for which the Company is formed are to manufacture, trade in, buy, sell, rent, lease and otherwise acquire, hold and dispose of Phonographs, Phonograph-Graphophones and Instruments of every other kind or description designed, made or used for, intended for the recording and reproducing of sounds and any or either of them or any part thereof and any and all supplies, appliances, materials and articles now used or required and that may be hereafter used or required in the manufacture, use or operation of said Phonographs, Phonograph-Graphophones and instruments and any and either of them and also for the purpose of renting, leasing, selling or otherwise disposing of to other firms, persons or corporations, the right or rights to manufacture, trade in, buy, sell, rent, lease or otherwise dispose of said Phonographs, Phonograph-Graphophones or Instruments or either of them or any part thereof or of the right to use the same either generally or in any specified State, locality or territory or in any general or limited manner; and also for the purpose of acquiring, receiving, owning and controlling by lease, rental, purchase, invention or otherwise any patent, patents, applications for patents, contracts devices, designs, instruments and formulas or any or either of them, relating to the art or science of recording and reproducing sound and for the purpose of purchasing materials therefore and any other purposes incidental to the business, trading and manufacturing aforesaid.

THE PORTION of the business of said Company which is to be carried on out of this state is the manufacture, trading in, buying, selling, renting, leasing and otherwise acquiring and disposing of the Phonographs, Phonograph-Graphophones and Instruments above described, and the supplies, appliances articles and materials, as above specified so far as the business of said Company may require, and the renting, leasing, selling or otherwise disposing of rights as above specified and other business incidental to the business of the Company which must necessarily be transacted outside of this State.

THIRD -- That the total amount of the capital stock of said Company is SIX MILLION, SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS; the number of shares into which the same is divided is SIXTY SIX THOUSAND; and the par value of each share is ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. The amount with which the said Company will commence business is FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS, which is divided into FOUR HUNDRED SHARES of a par value of ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS each.

FOURTH -- The names and residences of the stockholders and the number of shares held by each are as follows, to wit:

Jesse H. Lippincott, New York City, Eighty (80) Shares.Thomas R. Lombard, New York City, Eighty (80) Shares.George S. Evans, New York City, Eighty (80) Shares.George H. Fitzwilson, New York City, Eighty (80) Shares.John Robinson, New York City, Eighty (80) Shares.

FIFTH -- The period at which said Company shall commence is the Fourteenth day of July, A.D. one thousand eight hundred and eighty-eight, and the period at which is shall terminate is the First day of May, A.D. one thousand nine hundred and thirty-eight.

* * *

Businessman Jesse H. Lippincott assumed control of the phonograph companies by becoming sole licensee of the American Graphophone Company and by purchasing the Edison Phonograph Company from Edison. In an arrangement which eventually included most other phonograph makers as well, he formed the North American Phonograph Company on July 14, 1888. Lippincott saw the potential use of the phonograph only in the business field and leased the phonographs as office dictating machines to various member companies which each had its own sales territory. Unfortunately, this business did not prove to be very profitable, receiving significant opposition from stenographers.Meanwhile, the Edison Factory produced talking dolls in 1890 for the Edison Phonograph Toy Manufacturing Co. The dolls contained tiny wax cylinders. Edison's relationship with the company ended in March of 1891, and the dolls are very rare today. The Edison Phonograph Works also produced musical cylinders for coin-slot phonographs which some of the subsidiary companies had started to use. These proto-"jukeboxes" were a development which pointed to the future of phonographs as entertainment machines.In the fall of 1890, Lippincott fell ill and lost control of the North American Phonograph Co. to Edison, who was its principal creditor. Edison changed the policy of rentals to outright sales of the machines, but changed little else.Edison increased the entertainment offerings on his cylinders, which by 1892 were made of a wax known among collectors today as "brown wax." Although called by this name, the cylinders could range in color from off-white to light tan to dark brown. An announcement at the beginning of the cylinder would typically indicate the title, artist, and company. Advertisement for the Edison New Standard Phonograph, in Harper's, September 1898.In 1894, Edison declared bankruptcy for the North American Phonograph Company, a move that enabled him to buy back the rights to his invention. It took two years for the bankruptcy affairs to be settled before Edison could move ahead with marketing his invention. The Edison Spring Motor Phonograph appeared in 1895, even though technically Edison was not allowed to sell phonographs at this time because of the bankruptcy agreement. In January 1896, he started the National Phonograph Company which would manufacture phonographs for home entertainment use. Within three years, branches of the company were located in Europe. Under the aegis of the company, he announced the Spring Motor Phonograph in 1896, followed by the Edison Home Phonograph, and he began the commercial issue of cylinders under the new company's label. A year later, the Edison Standard Phonograph was manufactured, and then exhibited in the press in 1898. This was the first phonograph to carry the Edison trademark design. Prices for the phonographs had significantly diminished from its early days of $150 (in 1891) down to $20 for the Standard model and $7.50 for a model known as the Gem, introduced in 1899.

Source: Scripophily .com (note that his signature is on the stock certificate showing clearly that the last name is spelled with an I not an E although it appears both ways in contemporary works).

* * *


R. C. Crawford
[] –[]

Those who study the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club have long puzzled over the identity of a man who was listed as a member by the name of “A C Crawford”. There has not been enough evidence to determine what the “A C” stands for and thus who “A C Crawford” may have been. Indeed, one wag has created an entirely mythic “A C Crawford” complete with photography that was for a time available to be read on the internet. This having been said, the likelihood is that the A in “A C Crawford” is a typo.

R C Crawford
was the owner of Crawford Coke and Coal of Leckrone, PA. in Fayette County, in the Pittsburgh metro area. Chartered on April 12, 1865 Crawford Coal Company, the charter and list of subscribers of the company are available as record group 26. RG-26, Records of the DEPARTMENT OF STATE.

R C Crawford was a fine looking gentleman, and (like H C Frick) thought of as a Pittsburgher even though his base of operations was the coke fields of the Connellsville region. His Pittsburgh office was in the House Building.

A photo and caricature of R C Crawford can be seen in the book, Our friends: how we caricature them; Pittsburgh, Pa.; Newspaper Cartoonists of Pittsburgh, 1916.; which is to be found at this website:;cc=pitttext;q1=crawford%20coal;rgn=full%20text;idno=00aah1813m;didno=00aah1813m;view=image;seq=0144

Crawford Coal & Coke Co., of Lekrone, PA, used 42 gauge Heisler engines for their trains.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007


1835 – []

Frank B. Laughlin, iron manufacturer, was born in 1835 in Pennsylvania. Both of his parents were born in Ireland.

He married Margaret B.

In 1880 their household included:

- Frank B. Laughlin, 45

- Margaret B. Laughlin, 42

- A. Bailey Laughlin, son, 19 (printer) (married Mary F. Jones before 1895)
- Maggie (Margaret) B. Laughlin, daughter, 16 (married Mr. John M. S. Allison, the son of Dr. James A. Allson of whom more below, who died in 1894). Their son and his namesake becam ea professor at Yale and the Margaret Laughlin Marshall-John M.S. Allison Traveling Fellowship at Yale was established in their honor.

- Frank M Laughlin, son, 9 (married Annie J. Jenkinson before 1895)

- Harry M. Laughlin, son, 6 (married Eleanor Seymor before 1912)

The Laughlins lived on Penn Avenue opposite Murtland in the 22nd ward of Pittsburgh and near neighbors included the SFF&HC members: Woodwells, Aaron French and John Leishman’s future bride Julia Crawford (at her parents’ home, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Crawford). Thomas & Lucy Carnegie also lived near by.

Laughlin was associated with the Lucy Furnace Company (the first Lucy furnace, so called after the wife of Thomas M. Carnegie, the daughter of Mr. Coleman,). 1877, August 12-The Lucy Furnace Company. Organized by Andrew Carnegie, Thomas M. Carnegie and Henry Phipps, Jr. He was also the secretary of the Solar Carbon and Manufacturing Company.

Frank B. Laughlin was a member of the Duquesne Club, organized June 11, 1873. Laughlin, H C Frick and George Dillworth were the three founding members who appeared for the chartering, before the Allegheny County recorder of deeds.

The Social Mirror of 1888 says, “Mrs. Frank Laughlin is a Western woman. Margaret, Mrs. Laughlin's daughter, several years ago married Mr. John M. S. Allison. His sad death a year ago has left her a young widow.”

* * *

Dr. James A. Allison...

James Allison, D.D., Pittsburgh, is a native of Pittsburgh, Pa., born September 27, 1823. James Allison, Sr., his father, was born in 1792 in the Cumberland Valley, and was of old Scotch Presbyterian stock. He came to Pittsburgh in 1811, and was married there to Elizabeth, daughter of George and Lydia Brickell. The Brickell family settled in Pittsburgh in 1760, and owned and farmed a large amount of property in Birmingham. James Allison was a tanner, and later in life a farmer in Deer (now Richland) Township, Allegheny County, Pa., where he died aged seventy-five years. Politically he was identified with the whig and afterward with the republican party. Dr. Allison graduated at Jefferson College, class of 1845, and at the Western Theological Seminary, Allegheny, in 1848, after which he was pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Sewickley for sixteen years, and for several years was connected with the late Rev. Dr. McKinney as editor of the Presbyterian Banner. Dr. Allison, in 1864, along with Robert Patterson, bought the Presbyterian Banner, which they have published and edited ever since, and its circulation has been quadrupled under their management. Dr. Allison is a director of the Western Theological Seminary; trustee of Washington and Jefferson College; one of the managers of the Pennsylvania Reform School at Morganza, which position he has filled fourteen years. He has been a member of the Presbyterian General Assembly seven times; from 1865 to the present time he has been a member of the Presbyterian Board of Missions for Freedmen; has been a member of the Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce for several years, and has always taken an active part in public movements in church and state. He has been twice married; first, Aug. 20, 1851, to Miss Mary Anderson, of Sewickley, Pa., and second, November 6, 1856, to Miss Caroline Snowden, of Pittsburgh. His only son, John M.S. Allison, seven years connected with him in the Banner, a young man of great ability and high promise, died of typhoid fever Dec. 27, 1887. His only daughter now resides in Boston, the wife of S.W. Reinhart, general auditor of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroad.


March 16, 1847 - []

Americus Vespucius Holmes, capitalist banker, was born March 16, 1847 in the present downtown district of Pittsburgh, on Marberry Street which became Second Street. His parents were Dr. Shepley Ross Holmes and Mary Skelton. Mr. Holmes came from one of the oldest Pittsburgh pioneer families. His father was a distinguished physician who also stood high in Masonic circles.

Americus V. Holmes
as a boy attended the Second Ward public school where J. B. Meades was principal. In 1863 and 1864 he attended Col Hyatt’s Military Academy at West-Chester. For one year he was a student in the Iron City College.

In 1868 Mr. Holmes came of age and at once took charge of the Holmes family’s important real estate holdings in Pittsburgh including a business block at 226 Fifth Avenue.

Although young when taking full charge of business affairs, Mr. Holmes was unusually well prepared for this responsible position. His home training was of the best. Both father and mother from his earliest boyhood taught him habits of industry and honesty. On account of his high standing in the Masonic fraternity, Mr. Holmes as a youth associated much with men of affairs. Being naturally of a receptive and inquiring turn of mind he early familiarized himself with business matters and by training to be successful in business than many men double his age.

At the time Mr. Holmes took charge of the Holmes properties he opened an office at 226 Fifth Avenue and remained established there throughout his business career. Not content with looking after his personal property Mr. Holmes’ keen and active mind compelled him to seek other channels of endeavor. Soon he became interested in banking. He commanded the attention of the banking institutions of Pittsburgh and Mr. Holmes was elected vice president and first trustee of Dollar Savings Bank and a director in the Anchor Savings Bank.

His wife was the former Catherine “Cassie” A. Cain of Philadelphia PA
. They were married April 22, 1880.

Although the census enumerator was very poor in spelling, the family can be found in the 1880 census. The census must have been taken later in the year that they were married. Their household included:

Americus V. Holmes, age 33

Cassie Holmes, age 22

Francis B Nimick, age 39, brother-in-law (traveling salesman)

Caroline H. Childs, age 12, neice

William H. Childs, age 19, nephew (collegian)

George P. Balmaine, age 35, Nephew-in-law (purchaser for stationery house)

Margaret A. Balmaine, age 35, neice

Their home was in the 22nd ward, Pittsburgh. Near neighbors include newspaper editor Thomas Link, dry goods merchant Charles Arbuthnot, attorney William Frew, and members of the Holmes, Howe and Childs families Newspaper editor Eugene O'Neil is about six houses away.
SFF&HC member Aaron French a few doors beyond. As are the Woodwells and SFF&HC member Frank Laughlin.

Note about Franis B. Nimick, he was married to Eleanor Howard Howe, the daughter of Thomas Marshall Howe and Mary Ann Howe. Elenaor's sister Clara married James W. Brown of the SFF&HC. Eleanor's half-sister Mary Howard Howe married Col. James Henry Childs.
Thus Americus V. Holmes was the half-uncle of Adelaide Childs Frick.

A. V. Holmes looked somewhat like present-day film critic Gene Shallot, with big eyes and a larger handlebar moustache.


George Franklin Huff
July 16, 1842 - April 18, 1912

George Franklin Huff, son of George and Caroline Boyer-Huff and George Huff IV is widely known as one of the most enterprising and public spirited men in Westmoreland county, and is closely identified with nearly all of its many industrial and financial enterprises. When four years of age he accompanied his parents to Middletown, where he attended the public schools until 1851, when his parents moved to Altoona. There he attended the public schools until seventeen years of age, when he entered the car shops of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Altoona and learned the car finisher's trade. So faithful and true to every duty was he that three years later he was, without soliciation on his part, highly recommended by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company to a banking house in Altoona, that of William M. Lloyd and Company. He accepted the position and in 1865 his employer sent him to Ebensburg to establish a bank there. He succeeded remarkably well and a year later was re-called to Altoona.

In 1867 he removed to Greensburg, where he established the banking house of Lloyd, Huff and Company, know as the Greensburg Deposit Bank, and having branches at Latrobe, Irwin, Mount Pleasant and Ligonier. The panic of 1873 caused these several institutions to go out of business, but their property paid their full indebtedness with interest.

In 1871 Mr. Huff establishsed the Farmers' National Bank of Greensburg with a capital stock of one hundred thousand dollars. He was its first president and remained as such until 1874, when he became the active manager of the house as its cashier under General Richard Coulter as president. By Act of Congress the bank was reorganized as the Fifth National Bank of Pittsburgh, Mr. Huff being elected its vice-president, which position he held until 1876, when he resigned.

In 1874 he, with others, organized the Greensburgh Banking Company, which soon became a leader in the rural banking business of Western Pennsylvania. He was cashier of this bank until 1887, during which time through his untiring efforts and business sagacity, a very large volume of business was secured. In 1881 the First National Bank of Greensburg was chartered, and Mr. Huff became one of its most potent directors, which position he still retains. Since then the First National Bank has absorbed the Greensburg Banking Company, and has now a larger deposit and surplus than any other institution in the county.

Mr. Huff also became largely intereted in coal and coke industry of Westmoreland county. He was the prime mover in organizing the Greensburg Coal Company, the Alexandria Coal Company, Mountain Coal Company, the Argyle Coal Company, the United Coal and Coke Company, the Mutual Mining and Manufacturing Company, the Manor Gas Coal Company, the Madison Coal Company, the Salem Coal Company, the Latrobe Coal Company, Carbon Coal Company, and several others.

Most of these companies were since consolidated in the Keystone Coal and Coke Company, of which Mr. Huff is president. It and the companies with which he is connected, employ about 7,500 men an produce now in the neighborhood of six millions of tons of coal per year, or twenty thousand tons per day. He was also one of the organizers of the Southwest Pennsylvania Railroad Company, the main line of which passes through the Connellsville coking coal region, he being its treasurer until the offices were removed to Philadelphia. He was one of the founders of the Greensburg Electric Street Railway Company, the Greensburg Fuel (artificial and natural gas) Company, and the Greensburg Steel Company. He was formerly president of the Greensburg Electric Light and the Westmoreland Water Companies.

The development of the Jeannette natural gas region also felt his potency as well as the general upbuilding of that sprightly town. He donated seven acres of valuable land for manufacturing purposes at Burrell, a Station near Greensburg. The thriving towns of Youngwood, Southwest Greensburg, and other outlying sections of Greensburg were laid out largely by his efforts, and he has always been financially interested in the Kelly & Jones Company and its various improvements. He is also a director of the American Surety and Trust Company of Washington, D. C., the President of the Westmoreland Hospital Association, and is further interested in coal companies outside of the Keystone Coal and Coke Company in nearly every section of the bituminous region in Pennsylvania.

Adjoining Greensburg he has a large landed estate containing about 500 acres, upon which the family residence is built. It consists of highly cultivated farm land and original forest, all of which is beautified by a system of landscape gardening and parks ; and through the entire farm there are winding driveways of over four miles in length, which are kept up by Mr. Huff and are at all times thrown open for the public to enjoy. Mr. Huff is a progressive Republican. His political career began in 1880 when, as a member of the Chicago Republican Convention, he was one of the 306 who supported Geneal U. S. Grant for a third term as President. In 1884 he was a candidate for the office of State Senator in the Thirty-ninth Senatorial District, composed of the County of Westmoreland. He was elected by a majority of seven hundred although the county had for long years been regarded as the Democratic stronghold of the West. Since then the county has been generally Republican.

In 1888 Mr. Huff was nominated for Congress by the Republicans of Westmoreland county, but another was selected under the conferee system. In 1890 he was chosen as Congressional candidate by the Republicans in the district and elected by a large majority, representing the counties of Westmoreland, Indiana, Armstrong and Jefferson. He served in Congress until 1893, and in 1894 was elected Congressman-at-Large from Pennsylvania. In 1902, 1904, and 1906 he was returned to Congress, and now represents the counties of Westmorland and Butler. During his service in the National House of Representatives, Mr. Huff has proved his ability to well represent the large and varied interest of his constituents, and no member of Congress from the Commonwealth stands higher than he. He is now prominently mentionee as a candidte for the Governorship in 1906.

On March 16, 1871, Mr. Huff was united in marriage with Henrietta Burrell, a daughter of the late Jeremiah M. Burrell, twice President Judge of the Tenth Judicial District of Pennsylvania, and later United States District Judge for the Territory of Kansas. Judge Burrell died at Greensburg, October 21, 1856. (See Sketch of Judge Burrell in that part of the first volume of this series relative to the Westmoreland Bench).

Mr. and Mrs. Huff are the parents of eight children, four of whom are living, namely, Lloyd Burrell, Julian Burrell, Carolyn Burrell and Burrell Richardson.

Source: Pages l thru 5 History of Westmoreland County, Volume 1, Pennsylvania by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906

* * *

Here is his congressional biography...

HUFF, George Franklin, a Representative from Pennsylvania; born in Norristown, Montgomery County, Pa., July 16, 1842; attended the public schools in Middletown and later in Altoona; at the age of eighteen worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad car shops in Altoona; moved to Westmoreland County in 1867 and engaged in banking in Greensburg, Pa., later becoming largely identified with the industrial and mining interests of western Pennsylvania; delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1880; member of the State senate 1884-1888; elected as a Republican to the Fifty-second Congress (March 4, 1891-March 3, 1893); elected to the Fifty-fourth Congress (March 4, 1895-March 3, 1897); was not a candidate for renomination in 1896; again elected to the Fifty-eighth and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1903-March 3, 1911); chairman, Committee on Mines and Mining (Sixtieth and Sixty-first Congresses); was not a candidate for renomination in 1910; died in Washington, D.C., on April 18, 1912; interment in St. Clair Cemetery, Greensburg, Pa.

* * *

Huff donated the altar rail in the chapel at Seaton Hill.


Walter Franklin Fundenburg
1828 – ? before 1921

Dr. Walter Franklin Fundenburg was a man of remarkable achievement. He was born in Lewistown, Maryland, and was a son of Daniel Fundenburg and Rebecca Fahnestock and a grandson of Walter Fundenberg. He received his early education in his native state and was graduated from Baltimore Medical College. He later took up dentistry, but was a finished master of both professions. He was appointed surgeon in the French army during the Crimean War, and had reached Paris when the war ended.

He returned to Wheeling West Virginia and went from there to Pittsburgh where he became one of the leading professional men of his day. In 1861 he gave up practice in order to serve in the Civil War, being appointed assistant surgeon of the 136th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry and later surgeon of the 176th. He saw service until broken health compelled his resignation. Following service in the war he spent six years on his Maryland farm, when, his health regained, he returned to practice in Pittsburgh. In the social life of Pittsburgh and vicinity he was widely popular and was one of the influential men of the city. He was a member of the American Medical Association and Allegheny County Medical societies and a member of the American, State and County dental associations.

Walter Franklin Fundenburg married on October 4, 1855, Eliza “Liddie” I. Cox, born in Somerset, PA, daughter of Joshua F. and Maria Armstrong Cox, who died before 1880. Their children include:

- Walter Hullihen Fundenburg, D.D.
Born August 23, 1856 (He became a dentist)
- E. C. Fundenberg. Born 1858.
- Kate Fundenberg. Born 1866.
- Charles Fundenberg. Born 1868.

Dr. Fundenburg married (2) Mary ? before 1880. She was born in 1843 and must have died before 1904.

Dr. Fundenburg married (3) according to “The Social Directory” of 1904, Agnes Whitaker Risher.

Thursday, March 8, 2007



James McCord was a hatter. McCord owned the McCord and Company, wholesale hatters, “the oldest house west of the mountains in this line of business”. He was a director and vice president of the Armenia Insurance Company, along with SFF&HC member Wm T Dunn. He was also a director of the Third National Bank of Pittsburgh and he served as a corporator of Allegheny Cemetery in 1884-1894.

He and his wife Sarah Thompson (1827-1869) had at least the following children:

- Arthur Parke McCord (1858-1929)
- Joseph E. McCord (1860)
- James McCord (1867)

In 1880 they lived next door to C J Clarke and family and Asa P. Childs lived three doors along.

James S. McCord died in 1894 and was buried in Allegheny Cemetery. Many of the McCord family are buried there, to whit:

McCord, Adelaide, w/o Lucian McCord, 1915 - 1957, (Source: jf69)
McCord, Anna E., April 16, 1844 - Sept. 8, 1921, (Source: jf69)
McCord, Annie Benney, w/o W.L., 1852 - 1916, (Source: jf69)
McCord, Arthur Parke, 1858 - 1929, (Source: jf69)
McCord, Charles C., [mason emblem], 1846 - 1922, (Source: jf69)
McCord, J. Edwin Jr., Oct. 7, 1881 - Aug. 6, 1923, (Source: jf69)
McCord, James E., Oct. 27, 1840 - Aug. 3, 1904, (Source: jf69)
McCord, James S., 1822 - 1894, (Source: jf69)
McCord, John D. Jr., 1902 - 1989, (Source: jf69)
McCord, John D., Dec. 4, 1808 - July 1, 1900, (Source: jf69)
McCord, John D., husband of Josephine Neal, 1872 -1948, (Source: jf69)
McCord, John D., Sept. 12, 1872 - Apr. 9, 1903, (Source: jf69)
McCord, Josephine Neal, w/o John D., 1878 - 1941, (Source: jf69)
McCord, Julia L., Sept. 17, 1867 - June 13, 1922, (Source: jf69)
McCord, Lucian Gray, Cpl 551st AAA BN, Enl. Oct. 29, 1943, Disc. Oct. 29, 1945, Born June 14, 1909, Died April 14, 1952, (Source: jf69)
McCord, Margaret McCandlish, w/o John D., born April 12, 1810 - died April 10, 1845, (Source: jf69)
McCord, Marguerite Barber, 1904 - 1989, (Source: jf69)
McCord, Rosanna Blaine Robinson, w/o John D., born Aug. 13, 1821 - died Dec. 18, 1886, (Source: jf69)
McCord, Sarah Thompson, w/o James S., 1827 -1869 (Source: jf69)
McCord, Sue Stephenson, w/o James E., June 9, 1845 - Jan. 10, 1924, (Source: jf69)
McCord, Susan D., April 2?, 1835 - Aug. 3, 1911, (Source: jf69)
McCord, W.L., [gravestone almost buried,] 1854 - 1893, (Source: jf69)

Oliver McClintock, Walter L. McClintock and Frank T.McClintock

McClintock Family

The McClintock family is extensive and three of its members belonged to the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club. This will offer a brief overview of the family and the Club members, Frank Thompson McClintock, Oliver McClintock, and Walter L. McClintock – all three were associated with Oliver McClintock and Company, a mercantile house who made their fortune selling uniforms to the Union Army. Walter L. McClintock was a charter member of the Club.

* * *

Samuel Thompson, the maternal grandfather of Oliver McClintock and his brothers, made uniforms for the soldiers in the war of 1812. Shortly after 1830, Samuel Thompson who by that time conducted a dry goods business specializing in carpet, in Pittsburgh bought, from SFF&HC member Henry Holdship, a property at the corner of Liberty and Market where the succeeding McClintock business continued throughout the 1800s.

In 1837 the firm of Samuel Thompson was succeeded by the firm of W. McClintock & Company, headed by Washington McClintock, who was Thompson’s son-in-law, in partnership with Thompson’s son, Robert D. Thompson. In 1854 Washington admitted his brothers Alexander and George Ledlie McClintock into the business, assuming the name McClintock Brothers. In 1855 the name reverted to W. McClintock and it remained that until seven years later when having bought out their chief competition in the carpeting business, it was reorganized as Oliver McClintock & Company, the partners being Washington, Oliver and George (Sr.) McClintock.

Walter Lowrie McClintock – the second son of Washington McClintock – was admitted to the firm in 1864.

Washington McClintock died July 8 1870.

Washington McClintock’s fourth son, Thompson McClintock was admitted to the business in 1874; and Frank Thompson McClintock, the fifth son of the founder was admitted in 1884 upon the retirement of George (Sr).

After the flood, in 1897, the firm was dissolved and renamed the Oliver McClintock Company.

* * *

The three McClintock brothers who were members of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club are:

* * *

Oliver McClintock
October 20, 1839 - ?

Oliver McClintock was the eldest of seven children of Washington and Ella Thompson McClintock. He graduated from Yale in 1861. He served as corporal in Pennsylvanian Company D 15th Emergency Pennsylvania Militia, which saw action during both of Robert E Lee’s invasions of Pennsylvania. .

Oliver McClintock served as the president of the YMCA, as an elder in Second Presbyterian Church, as trustee of the Western Theological Seminary, He and his brother in law A H Childs were founders of Shady Side Academy. Director of the chamber of commerce, member of the Duquesne club (and the University Club of New York).

Oliver McClintock married on June 7, 1866, Clara Courtney Childs the daughter of Harvey and Jane Bailey Lowrie Childs. Their children:

- Norman McClintock (June 13, 1868-); Yale 1891; married Ethel Lockwood in 1906 (born circa 1845 in Massachusetts). In 1900, single and still living with his parents, Norman was enumerated as a bookkeeper. In 1910, 1920 and 1930, Norman, Ethel and family were living in Pittsburgh, Ward 7, Pennsylvania, where Norman was listed in the rugs and carpet business in 1910 (page 13B); enumerated as a lecturer in natural history in 1920 (page 6A), and as a university teacher (University of Pittsburgh) in 1930 (page 17A). Norman's field was ornithology—typing his name into your search engine will bring up some of his studies. For example...
From the Wilson Bulletin, March 1926 (Cincinnati). . .Mr. Norman McClintock, the well-known cinematographic photographer of birds and animals, has recently been added to the faculty of the University of Pittsburgh. It is the University's purpose to make Mr. McClintock's lectures available to the general public. . .Also with the family in 1910, 1920 and 1930 was Ethel's mother, Ellen Lockwood, born circa 1845 in Massachusetts. Children of Norman and Ethel known from the federal censuses (all born in Pennsylvania): (1) Eleanor L. McClintock born circa 1907; (2) Oliver McClintock, born circa 1908; (3) Henry McClintock, born circa 1916; and Emma McClintock, born circa 1918.

- Walter McClintock (April 2, 1870-); graduated from Yale in 1891; Walter did not marry. In 1900, Walter, single was living with his parents and enumerated as a manager of a ?tile company. In 1910 and 1920, single and with his parents, Walter was listed as an ethnologist. In 1930, single, living next to his brother Norman and family in Pittsburgh, Walter was enumerated as a lecturer and writer of ethnology. Walter was an early historian and ethnologist, who lectured at the University of Pittsburgh. He was an internationally acclaimed authority on the culture of Blackfoot society. He lived amongst the Blackfeet for several years and wrote extensively on their culture. Probably his most valuable and best known work is Walter McClintock, The Old North Trail or Life, Legends and Religion on the Blackfeet Indians (London: MacMillan and Co., 1910). The book (in paperback) is still available from book dealers, and there is an online version: ( Walter dedicated the book "To My Father whose interest and encouragement have been unfailing, the book is affectionately dedicated." In the Preface, Walter acknowledges his brother Norman for assistance in photographic matters and identification of birds. In the front matter is the often-reproduced painting The Sentinel: see ( The following from Browning Newspaper Notes 1948 - 1949 (
April 8, 1949McClintock, Author, Dies in Pittsburgh; Indian Historian Writing to Claude Schaffer, curator of the Museum of the Plains Indian, John Ewers, former curator of the institution and now in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. said that Walter McClintock, author of “The Old North Trail,” died recently at his home in Pittsburgh, Pa. Mr. McClintock continued hale and hearty in his advanced years and made his last visit to Browning last summer. “The Old North Trail” is one of the popular and authentic pieces of historic literature dealing with the Blackfeet Indians, the author spending a number of years in research in creating it. He was a likeable personality and for many years had continued his occasional visit to this section.

- Emma Childs McClintock (Sept 25, 1874-); Mrs. Thomas Darling of Wilkes Barre, PA. Four children: Thomas, Edward, Clara and Elsie. Thomas Darling; born circa 1864 in Pennsylvania. The family lived in Wilkes-Barre, Ward 7, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, where Thomas was enumerated as a lawyer in 1920 (page 8B). Thomas had died by 1930, when Emma was listed as a widow, still living in Wilkes-Barre (page 16B). Children known from the 1920 and 1930 federal censuses (all born in Pennsylvania): (a) Thomas Darling, born circa 1904; (b) Edward Darling, born circa 1906; (c) Clara C. Darling, born circa 1908; and (d) Elsie L. Darling, born circa 1915.

- Harvey Childs McClintock (July 16, 1882-); Yale 1903, married Fannie Brower; two children: Harvey Childs McClintock Jr. and Bailey Brower McClintock. In 1930, Harvey, Fanny and family were living in Yonkers, Westchester, New York (page 9A), where Harvey was listed as a lawyer, general practice. Children known from the 1930 federal census: (a) Harvey C. McClintock, born circa 1913 in Pennsylvania; and (b) ?Bailey McClintock, born circa 1919 in New York.

- Elsie Thompson McClintock [twin with Jeannette] (April 19, 1886-); Mrs. Frank Dwight Nicol, Detroit MI. The family lived in Milford, Oakland County, Michigan in 1920 (page 3A), when Frank was listed as a banker, investment; in 1930 the family was in Novi Township, Oakland County, where Frank was listed as a broker, stock and bonds. Children known from the federal censuses (both born in Michigan): (a) Jeannette Nicol, born circa 1919; and (b) Clara C. Nicol. A family member has helped clarify this line for me (in "comments"), as follows...

"Frank Dwight Nicol ...had his own investment brokerage firm called "Ford & Nicol", which eventually merged with Watling Lerchen, a prominent Detroit brokerage firm, still in existence today. Frank & Elsie retired to Longboat Key, Florida in 1954, and Frank passed away in 1963 at the age of 80. My mother was their second child, Clara Childs Nicol Moore, who passed away in 1979 at 54 years old. Their older child Jeannette is still alive and just turned 90 years old. Elsie's twin sister Jeannette McClintock Osborne died in an auto accident near Sarasota around 1957."

- Jeannette McClintock (April 10, 1886-); married Wallace N. Osborne vice-president of Gemmer Manufacturing Company of Detroit MI, sometime after 1910. She and her sister Elsie were both musicians.

The family owned a cottage at Huron Mountain Club in Marquette MI.

* * *

Walter Lowrie McClintock
1841 – March 3, 1911

The son of Washington and Ella Thompson McClintock. He graduated from Yale in 1862. W L McClintock was a charter member of the S F F & H C.

Walter Lowrie McClintock married Mary Garrison.

Their children included:

- Evan Garrison McClintock (1868-)

- Abraham Garrison McClintock; Yale 1900. Married Georgiana Armide de Saulles of St. Louis MO. Their children were: Walter L. McClintock, Mary Garrison McClintock and Katherine Garrison McClintock (1896-1982; married Franklin Henry Ellis)

- C. O. McClintock

Their home was at 929 Ridge Avenue in Allegheny. Their summer home was in Castine Maine and winter home in Ormond, Florida.

* * *

Francis "Frank" Thompson McClintock
May 1853 - ?

The son of Washington and Ella Thompson McClintock. He graduated from Yale in 1875.

Frank Thompson McClintock married Stella Updike.

Their children included:

- Bowdin Updike McClintock (March 10, 1885 - March 1972); lawyer not know to have married.

- Frank Stockton McClintock (January 3, 1887-January 1981); mechanical engineer, not known to have married.

- Kenneth McClintock (April 26, 1890-October 1979); engineer; not known to have married.

- Madeleine McClintock (October 1893-?)

- Rodman McClintock (Sept. 26, 1986-Dec. 1957); a writer, not known to have married.

They lived at 805 Amberson Avenue in Shadyside.

* * *


Samuel Rea
1855-March 1929

Samuel Rea was born in Hollidaysburg in 1855. His parents were James D. Rea and Ruth Blair Moore. His paternal grandfather General John Rea was in Congress from Bedford and Franklin PA during the terms of Jefferson and Madison. Through the marrige of his father's siblings he was related to the Childs and therefore Frick families. Samuel's father James D. Rea died in 1868.

Samuel Rea began his connection with the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1871. Except for an intermission from 1875 to 1879 (when he worked for the P&LE Railroad), he served continuously on the Pennsylvania Railroad until his retirement from office as President in 1925.

Samuel Rea married Mary Black, the daughter of Jane Black. IN 1880 Samuel and Mary lived with her widowed mother and family in Allegheny PA. Their children, born after 1880, include:

- George Rea

- Ruth Rea

(Source: century and a half of Pittsburg and her people / by John Newton Boucher ; illustrated. Vol. 4. 1908.1854-1933. page 223)

In 1886, Samuel Rea became a member of the New York Stock Exchange—being the first seat held in the city of Pittsburgh. He remained a member for 12 years.
In 1888 he published a book called “The Railways Terminating in London: With a Description of the Terminating Stations”.

After the Flood, Rea removed to Bryn Mawr PA, to an estate called Waverly Heights; it now serves as Waverly Heights, a lifecare community in Gladwyne.
Rea was reared in the Presbyterian faith and said he preferred reading Prof. Moffet’s translation of the Bible.

* * *

Samuel Rea, President of the Pennsylvania Railroad system, will retire in 1925 at the age of 70. His probable successor is W. W. Atterbury, Vice President, in charge of operation.
General Atterbury, except during his service with the A. E. F. in France, has been connected with the Pennsylvania ever since he was graduated from Yale in 1886. He began as apprentice in the Altoona, Pa., shops, became road foreman, assistant engineer, master mechanic, general superintendent of motive power, general manager, Vice President.

Samuel Rea began as a clerk in a country store. At 16 he went railroading, and 31 found him, mature, assistant engineer in the construction of chain suspension bridges over the Monongahela at Pittsburgh. Finally, as head of the 12,000-mile system employing 250,000 men, he became one of the three or four dominating powers in American transportation. He is considered largely responsible for many features of the Esch-Cummins Transportation Act, whereby the roads were returned to private control in 1920.

(Source, Time, Jan 4, 1924)

* * *

Since 1880 six men have been president of the Pennsylvania Railroad. They were: Roberts, 1880-1897 Thompson, 1897-1899 Cassatt, 1899-1906 McRea, 1906-1913 Rea, 1913-1925 Atterbury, 1925- Fifth on the list in point of time, but not of stature, is Samuel Rea, who died last week in his home at Bryn Mawr, suburb of Philadelphia. Of him said Frederick D. Underwood, onetime (1901-26) president of Erie Railroad: "I have known four presidents of the Pennsylvania preceding Mr. Rea ... he stood head and shoulders above them all."

Tremendous, indeed, were the changes in the Penn system during the 50 years in which Mr. Rea was associated with it. He began as a rodman in 1871, at a time when the Penn road had hardly outgrown its original (1846) charter which provided that it should extend from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh. Not only did he see the road pass through the greater part of the expansion which has made it a 12,000-mile system, but it was directly through his efforts that the Pennsylvania secured access to Manhattan. He planned a bridge across the Hudson from Jersey City to Manhattan. When other roads refused to cooperate, he went under instead of over the water and built the Hudson River tubes. Later he made an arrangement with the New York, New Haven & Hartford and built the Hell Gate Bridge, and still later got control of the Long Island Railroad and connected it to the Penn with tunnels under the East River.

In his later years, as head of a great railroad, Mr. Rea was not only rail tycoon but public figure as well. Thus many a person knew that he belonged to the Association Against the Prohibition Amendment, that he supported Alfred Smith in the late campaign. He was famed, too, as a woodchopper and as a collector of English antique silver. Doubtless many of the thousands who this week passed through Manhattan's Pennsylvania Station realized that in it Samuel Rea has an enduring and a fitting memorial.

(Source: Time, April 1, 1929)

* * *

Pennsylvania Station was built to accommodate as many as half a million daily passengers, and soon after it opened, Samuel Rea, by this time the president of the Pennsylvania, found himself defending his work against charges that it had been wastefully overbuilt. Time was to prove him right. By 1919 the station was accommodating almost thirty-five million a year, eclipsing Grand Central Terminal as the busiest New York station. Less than a decade later more than sixty million used it annually, enough to make it the most heavily used railroad station in all North America. By 1939 its yearly traffic had reached a then record level of almost sixty-six million passengers.

(Source, American Heritage: “Penn Station Lives!” by William D. Middleton, Fall 1997)

* * *

A statue of Samuel Rea, by Adolph A. Weinman, ca. 1910, was placed just west of the entrance to Penn Station at 32nd St. and 7th Ave.Rea was responsible not only for supervising the building of the magnificent Pennsylvania Station (completed in 1910), but for the whole project linking the Pennsylvania Railroad’s Jersey City terminal with Manhattan, which included construction of railroad tubes under the Hudson under the East River to the sprawling railroad yards in Sunnyside, Queens. It was one of the most massive engineering projects of the early twentieth century, matched only by the construction of Grand Central Terminal a few blocks away. See a photo of the statue, here:

A photo of Samuel Rea can be seen here:

* * *

Wednesday, March 7, 2007


Circa 1840 - After 1895

On the 29th day of April, 1882, the Virginia Manganese Company entered into a contract under seal with James B. White, Myron C. Davis* and S. M. Donald, ... Considerable high-grade manganese ore was produced at the Houston (Virginia) mine in the late eighties, at which time it was being operated by James B. White & Co. ...

* * *

In the Sept. 5, 1884 issue of the “American Manufacturer” of Pittsburgh PA.

During the last 2 or 3 weeks blast furnace A of the Edgar Thompson Steel works has been producing ferro-manganese instead of spiegeleisen… On Monday last we were shown a specimen of this ferro-manganese which contained a small fraction over 92 per cent of manganese... it comes from the Crimora mine of Va., which is leased by James B. White & Co. of this city (Pittsburgh). ...

James B White was an Episcopalian and Treasurer of the Board of Missions of the Dioceses of Pittsburgh.

MR. JAMES B. WHITE’s offices were in the Bissell Block, at the corner of Seventh Ave. and Smithfield St. in Pittsburgh, Pa.

(His daughter?) Mary de Vere White married James Howard. In his old age James B. White lived with them. (circa 1895)

(His son?) James B White b 1882 married Ethel Beatty the daughter of Charles Norman Beatty 1859 – 1931 and Daisy ? Richards 1869 – 1949

* * *

* MYRON C. DAVIS. Born in Rutland, Massachusetts, March 4th, I847; died January i8th, 1887, at Santiago, Cuba. Mr. Davis was member of the Iron City ...


Sylvester S Marvin
November 18, 1841 – May 12, 1924

Sylvester S. Marvin was an industrial baker mogul whose S S Marvin Co. bakery was one of the key concerns that merged to become Nabisco.

Sylvester S Marvin was born in Ogden, Monroe County New York on November 18, 1841, the son of Aaron and Lucy Stephens Marvin. He grew up on the Lockport family farm leaving there at the age of 13, when he went to live with his uncle Warren K. Marvin, who dealt in farm implements; there S S Marvin began his commercial training.

Thereafter the family moved to New York City and he continued his training at the Marvin Safe Company. Thereafter for a time he lived in St Joseph Missouri where he served as a collector on a Missouri riverboat.

From 1860-1862 he served with the 28th New York Volunteer Company K during the Civil War. Sergeant Marvin was wounded at the battle of Cedar Mountain. Only six members of Company K survived that battle without being killed or severely maimed.

Marvin arrived in Pittsburgh in 1863 at which time he established himself in the cracker business, and founded the house of S. S. Marvin Co., one of the largest concerns of its kind in the United States.

S S Marvin -Manufacturers of Crackers, Cakes and Bread; Liberty Avenue, was the successor firm of a business originally established at 9I Liberty street in I831 by John Davis, who was later succeeded by the firm of R. J. Davis, followed in 1866 by Messrs, S. S. Marvin and C. B. Rumsey under the present firm style (1889). Their products embrace every description of crackers, cakes and bread and in crackers, the business of the firm extends to every part of the United States. Employment is given to a force of 250 hands.

Marvin was called “The Edison of Manufacturing” for his innovations in the bakery business – by 1888 the largest in the United States – and the organization of the National Biscuit Company (Nabisco). in 1889 his factory employed about 250 people. Thereafter he founded the Pittsburgh Chocolate Company.

S S Marvin was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, a director of the Commercial Bank, and president of the Western Pennsylvania Exposition Society. He was a benefactor of the Western Theological Seminary (Presbyterian) and also augmented the pensions of retired Presbyterian ministers.

A life-sized painting of Marvin by William Merritt Chase was originally intended to be hung in the Carnegie Art Gallery in Pittsburgh. Having been sold at auction in 2004, it is now on loan and on exhibition at the Orlando Museum of Art in Florida. With his white moustache and goatee, he somewhat resembles Col. Sanders.

Sylvester Stephen Marvin married Mathilda Rumsey of New Rochelle NY in 1870; They had two sons:

Walter Rumsey Marvin ()

Earle E. Rumsey (Nov 26, 1874-) – a graduate of Andover ’93 and Yale ‘96. He followed his father as an executive in the Nabisco and P Chocolate Co.

“Mrs. S. S. Marvin, whose husband is said to have made a fortune in the MARVIN. cracker business, has a comfortable home, prettily furnished, in Shadyside...” (The Social Mirror, 1888)

The Marvins were members of the Shadyside Presbyterian Church. In later years, S. S. Marvin’s leisure hours were spent in a charming home, "Merimont," at Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia. Following the Flood he helped coordinate food relief to the disaster zone. He died at his home "Merimont" in Bryn Mawr on May 12, 1924.

Marvin was 49 the year of the Flood.


Thomas S Clarke

Thomas S Clarke is the name of two men from the same prominent Pittsburgh family, who were grandfather and grandson. The middle generation was SFF&HC member Charles J Clarke, who is profiled elsewhere in this work

Thomas S. Clarke
1801 -1867

THOMAS SHIELDS CLARKE, the subject of this sketch, was born at Canonsburg, Pa., Jan. 18, 1801, and passed away at his home in Oakland, Pittsburgh, Oct. 19, 1867.

Thomas S Clarke was William Thaw’s brother-in-law and partner pre 1856; in 1856 Thomas S. Clarke and William Thaw joined forces to undertaken the conduct of the freight traffic of the Pennsylvania Railroad from Pittsburgh to all points west. At that time there was no system through bills of lading or through cars as later prevailed, and each railroad worked ‘upon its own hook’. The whole business of freight transportation was in an almost chaotic state. In about 1864 the Pennsylvania railroad devised a system of through transportation over different lines, Clarke and Thaw helped bring this about.

His photo may be seen here:;cc=pitttext;q1=thomas%20s%20clarke;rgn=full%20text;idno=00afq9167m;didno=00afq9167m;view=image;seq=0213

You can read more about him, here;cc=pitttext;q1=clarke;rgn=full%20text;idno=00afq9167m;didno=00afq9167m;view=image;seq=980;page=root;size=s;frm=frameset

On July 5, 1831, Thomas S. Clarke married Eliza Thaw, the daughter of John Thaw and sister of William Thaw, the father of SFF&HC member Benjamin Thaw. The son of Thomas S. Clarke and Eliza Thaw Clarke was SFF&HC member Charles J Clarke and their other child was a daughter was Agnes Shields Clarke.

Thomas S. Clarke

Thomas Clarke (2) was the grandson and namesake of Thomas S. Clarke (1) who was born to Charles J Clarke and Louisa Semple in 1860. Along with is father and brother Lewis Semple Clarke, he was a member (charter member) of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club.

He was 29 years old at the time of the Flood.

Reuben Miller is the name of three men - father, son and grandson - who were prominent Pittsburghers during the 19th century.

Reuben Miller (1) was born in 1805 in Pennsylvania. He graduated from St James College and spent his life in the iron business. He was a clerk with the foundry of Christopher Cowan who was the first person to create a rolling mill in Allegheny County (in 1811-1812). Reuben Miller was selected by Cowan to make a trip to Nashville to learn about the process.

Reuben Miller (1) (born 1805-) married Ann L.? …

Here is their family in 1850:


In 1834, The Pittsburgh Savings Institution was brought into being by an act of the Pennsylvanian Legislature and Reuben Miller was among those who were named to be its directors. Also named were SFF&HC members or relatives Thomas S. Clarke, John Caldwell. Son and SFF&HC member Reuben Miller Jr. (born in 1839) was listed as the treasurer. The name of the bank was later changed to The Farmers Deposit Bank of Pittsburgh. Reuben Miller was also a director of the Exchange Bank with SFF&HC members and relatives Harvey Childs and James W Brown. Miller was also elected to the organizing board of the Mechanics Bank (1855) and upon election, became its first president.

Reuben Miller (2) (born in 1839) was the son of Reuben (1) and Ann L. Miller. He continued in the same line of work as his father, and listed his occupation as a steel maker.

Reuben Miller was a director of the Fidelity Trust Company, serving along with these SFF&HC members: C B Shea, Robert Pitcairn, Frank Semple and James H. Reed. He was a member of the Americus Club (as were many SFF&HC members. Miller served on the Central Board of Education for the Pittsburgh Public Schools and served as its first treasurer. He served as president of the Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce. And he served on the board of Homewood Cemetery.

Reuben Miller (2) married Mary L. Fleming. Their children include:

Reuben Miller Jr., (3) a graduate of Yale 1892, married Rachel Larimore (thereby a connection with the Mellon family)

Ruth Lindley Miller

Lois Fleming Miller

Harvey Miller
(his children include Harvey Miller, Jr. and Frances Miller)

[One of the daughters of Reuben and Mary Miller became Mrs. Cameron B Waterman of Grosse Pointe MI; their children include Cameron B Waterman Jr., Reuben Miller Waterman and Mary Elizabeth Waterman]

Their summer home was Rockmont, Beaumaris, Lake Muskoka, Ontario.

Here is the household of Reuben and Mary in 1880, or nine years before the Flood:


Tuesday, March 6, 2007


October 25, 1836 – June 7, 1926

Henry B. Patton was born in Smithfield, Fayette County, Pa on October 25, 1836, the son of John Lockwood Patton and Nancy Bowell. He married Mary Adele Hamilton of Beaver County, PA (March 11, 1845 - ?)

Their children were:

James Hamilton Patton (March 8, 1866-Jan 14, 1945)
Viola S Patton (?-?)
Harry Clyde Patton (March 24, 1882-?)

* * *

Henry B. Patton
was mustered into service October 15, 1861, as a private in the 85th regiment, Company G and during the civil war rose to the rank of sergeant. As a member of the 85th regiment, company F, his service taking him as far a field as Hilton Head Island, where on April 21st, 1863 he was one of those awarded a special medal of honor for distinguished conduct in trenches at the face of Fort Wagner.

Henry B. Patton
was associated with the Pittsburgh Glass Works, A. and D. H. Chambers, manufacturers of glass products including bottles and vials, as well as window glass. The business was originated by Alexander and D H Chambers in 1843. D H Chambers died in 1862 and Alexander continued the business unit 1875 at which time it became the property of James A Chambers and Henry B. Patton, who conducted it retaining the old and honored name by which it had built up such a fine business.

Mr. Henry B. Patton, was a practical and experienced glass manufacturer.

He died on 7 Jun 1926 in Albion, PA (buried in Monogahela Cemetary). Mary Adele Hamilton was born on 11 Mar 1845 in Beaver County, PA. She died on 14 Aug 1914 in Greensboro, PA .