Wednesday, February 28, 2007


David Nevin Rankin
October 28, 1833 – January 1, 1900

David Nevin Rankin was born in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania on October 28, 1833. He was one of twelve children, several of whom also ended up, as adults, living in Pittsburgh. Rankin’s parents were Dr. William Rankin and Caroline Olivia Nevin. David N. Rankin was baptized in Shippensburg on January 5, 1834. David Rankin followed in his father’s footsteps and became a doctor; he received his M. D. from Jefferson Medical College in 1854 and began his practice in his father's office, in about 1855. During the Civil War, he lived in Washington DC.

Here is a biographical sketch of Dr. Rankin, from Appleton's Encyclopedia...

"RANKIN, David Nevin, physician, born in Shippensburg, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 27 October, 1884. After graduation at Jefferson medical college in 1854, he practised with his father in his native town until the beginning of the civil war, in which he served as acting assistant surgeon, and aided in opening many of the largest United States army hospitals during the war, among which were the Mansion-house hospital in Alexandria, Virginia, and the Douglas hospital in Washington, D.C. Afterward he was made one of the thirty surgeons in the volunteer aid corps of surgeons of Pennsylvania, which rendered efficient service. In 1864-'6 he was medical examiner of the United States pension bureau, and since 1865 he has been chief physician of the penitentiary of western Pennsylvania. Dr. Rankin was a member of the British medical association in 1884, a delegate to the 8th and 9th International medical congresses, and is a member of various medical societies. He has contributed numerous articles to medical journals."

Dr. David Nevin Rankin was original member of the NATHANIEL BEDFORD MEDICAL SOCIETY which became the PITTSBURGH ACADEMY OF MEDICINE. Indeed, the first meeting of this society was held December I, I864, at the office of Dr. D. N. Rankin. He served as the physician for the Western Penitentiary as well as the physician for the Pennsylvania Reform School. He was a delegate to the Medical Society of Pennsylvania, meeting in Philadelphia in 1867, representing the Allegheny County Medical Society.

On May 7, 1863, in Allegheny, PA, David Nevin Rankin married Anne Katherine (Kate) Irwin (1843-March 14, 1926), the daughter of Henry Irwin and Elizabeth Peterson. Kate Irwin was the sister of SFF&CH member Lewis Irwin, as well as the sister of Maria Irwin who was the wife of SFF&HC member Henry Holdship.

As reported in "The Social Mirror" (1888): "Mrs. Rankin, wife of Dr. D. N. Rankin, of Lincoln Avenue, Allegheny, is descended from one of the oldest families in Pittsburgh. Miss Kate Irwin was her name previous to her early marriage, her father being the late Henry Irwin, and her great-grandfather Major John Irwin of the Revolutionary army. Mrs. Howard Childs and Miss Edith Rankin are daughters, the latter being one of the prettiest of the coming society belles." (page 137).

The children of David Nevin Rankin and Kate Irwin include:

Elizabeth RANKIN b: 14 APR 1864 (married Howard Childs, see below A)

Henry Irwin RANKIN (1868 - 1914) M.D.

Edith Nevin RANKIN (26 OCT 1872 - 2 DEC 1926) (married Plumer see below B)

- - - -
Here is their household in the 1880 census...

David N. RANKIN; 44; born in PA; Doctor M. D.
Cathrien RANKIN; 36; born in PA; Keeping House
Lillia I. RANKIN; 16; born in PA
Harry I. RANKIN; 11; born in PA
Edith N. RANKIN; 7; born in PA

The household also included several servants...

More on Rankin line:

Elizabeth Rankin married Howard Childs (a relative of Adelaide Childs Frick)

(Again, from "The Social Mirror"): "Mrs Howard Childs, nee Lily Rankin, is a beauty of the brilliant type. She is a brunette of rich yet delicate coloring, and the animation of her expression when she is interested in the conversation is not the least of her charms. She was one of the October brides of a year ago, and her elegant wedding is still talked about in the 'Cotillion' set. She is a daughter of Dr. D. N. Rankin of Allegheny, and during the four or five years of her young ladyhood was one of the most admired belles of the city." (page 13)

Marriage 1 Howard CHILDS

The children of Howard Childs and Elizabeth Rankin:

David Rankin CHILDS b: 3 AUG 1888

Howard CHILDS b: 23 AUG 1889

Adelaide CHILDS b: 23 AUG 1891

James CHILDS b: 1 JAN 1893

- - -

Henry Irwin Rankin, M.D., married [unknown]

- - -

Edith Nevin Rankin married Henry A. Plumer

Marriage 1 Henry A. PLUMER

The child of Henry A. Plumer and Edith Rankin is:

Catherine A. PLUMER b: 15 JUN 1907

(See more of the genealogy of Rankin-Irwin family at:

- - - - -



Lewis Irwin was the son of Henry Irwin (November 12, 1813 – February 9, 1885) and Elizabeth Peterson Irwin of Allegheny PA, an old Pennsylvania family.

His sister Maria Irwin was the wife of SFF&HC member Henry Holdship.

His sister Anne Katherine (Kate) Irwin was the wife of SSF&HC member David Nevin Rankin.

Lewis Irwin was involved in the oil trading business. In 1865 a firm involving Henry Holdship was reorganized as Holdship & Irwin, Mr. Holdship taking into partnership his brother-in-law, Lewis Irwin. This association continued until I886, when ill health required Mr. Holdship to retire...

Lewis Irwin was a director of the Iron City National Bank.

Lewis Irwin was part of the Enterprise Base Ball Club, organized 1865, and served as its vice president. (Note John Irwin also among its directors).

Lewis Irwin married Emma Riddle.
Their Longfellow, Alden and Harlow designed home was located at 805 Western Avenue (now numbered 825 Western, at Irwin Avenue), Allegheny, Pa. The home was built in 1887 and includes stables. (Per “Architecture after Richardson”).

Their children include the following…

Gertrude Irwin ()

Ida Irwin (); Married Arthur Bacon Jones; lived in [] in Versailles, Pa.


David King Irwin (); married Mary Baggeley; they lived on Kentucky Avenue, Pittsburgh.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007


James Ernest Schwartz
March 9, 1843 – May 16, 1900

James Ernest Schwartz was born March 9, 1843 in Allegheny. He was the son of Jacob Loeser Schwartz and Evaline McDowell. He received his education in the Pittsburgh schools and at the Western University, now Pitt. At the age of 18 he began his business career in his father's office, but the Civil War interrupted--he served in the 14th Pa. Regt. Volunteers and re-enlisting, in Knapps Pennsylvania Battery A. His eventual rank was captain.

James Ernest Schwartz was president of the Pennsylvania Lead Company, which had as an antecedent firm Fahnstock, Hazlett and Schwartz (the Schwartz being Jacob, James’ father). The Pennsylvania Lead company, J. E. Schwartz, president; B. W. Doyle, secretary; Robert Wardrop, treasurer; F. C. Blake, superintendent, was organized in 1872, for the purpose of refining lead, silver and gold. The works comprise nine acres at the junction between the Pan Handle and the Pittsburgh, Chartiers and Youghiogheny Railroad. The' President of the company is J. E. Schwartz; Secretary, J. B. Arnold. The works are located at Mansfield Station, on the Panhandle....

He was President of the Pittsburgh, Chartiers and Youghiogheny railroad. The company was incorporated in October, 1881, and organized with J. E. Schwartz, president; George S. Griscom, vice-president and general manager; R. T. Hill, secretary. (It connected Pittsburgh with the coke regions).

He also purchased the Mingo Furnace of Salt Lake City, Utah, and remained president of it as well, until this and the Pennsylvania Lead Company were consolidated into the American Smelting and Refining Co. in 1898.

He was a member of the Duquesne Club. And one of the original subscribers to the Pittsburgh Orchestra. And a member of the Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce. Schwartz served on the board of the Pittsburgh and Allegheny Free Dispensary along with other SFF&HC members: A V Holmes, J A Lippincott, Reuben Miller, John Ewing.

* * *

In 1868, James Ernest Schwartz married Emma Nicholson, in Pittsburgh, PA.

Their family included the following:

John Loeser Schwartz
(1869-) married Julia Lewis Clark (the daughter of Robert Neilson Clark and Mary Ann Lewis of Philadelphia, who was born on 6 Feb. 1885 in Leadville, Colorado). They had at least the following children:

- Mary Clark Schwartz (1911-) (later Black)

- John Loeser Schwartz, Jr. (1914-2000) (later Black).

Jack died Jan. 16 in Wyndmoor, Pa. He prepared for Princeton at St. Albans and Kent School. At Princeton he majored in economics, rowed on the 150-lb. crew freshman through junior years, became assistant coach in his senior year, and was a member of Colonial Club. He and the former Mary Timanus were married on Feb. 18, 1939. Their first son, John L. C. Black '63, was born two years later. Then came WWII. Jack joined the Navy, was assigned to Pacific Naval Air Operations, and emerged in 1945 as a lt.-comdr. He and a partner founded Alcorn & Black, a fuel and farm supply firm in Ambler, Pa., and the Blacks moved to nearby Blue Bell. In the late 1970s, Jack sold his interest in Alcorn & Black and he and "Timmy" moved to Springhouse Estates, a retirement community in Lower Gwynedd, Pa. They spent five years running the Blue Bell Country Store; Jack also operated a tree nursery and served briefly as acting director of the nearby Morris Arboretum. The Blacks' eldest son, J. L. C., died in 1993. "Timmy" died in Dec. 1998-just two months before they could celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary. Survivors include three other sons (Timothy, Robert, and Herbert), 11 grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren. Princeton: The Class of 1935PAW June 7th, 2000

Their summer home was “Hillcrest” at Port Hope, Ontario. There is some indication that by 1920, possibly as a reaction to anti-German sentiment during the Great War, the family had Americanized their last name to Black, black being the English equivalent of schwartz. They were by that time living in Washington DC.

More about "Hillcrest"...The story of The Hillcrest is steeped in romance. It begins in 1874 when James Gooderham Worts built it for his daughter Emilie Ardelia Worts. She married David Smart, a Port Hope barrister, and the Hillcrest was their wedding gift. The home was sold out of the Smart family and in 1900, Norman B. Gould of Port Hope sold Hillcrest to Frank N. Schwartz and James E. Schwartz, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A deed poll dated 1917 is the first document to refer to the home as Hillcrest. Hillcrest remained in the Schwartz/Black family until the 1970's. The Hillcrest is one of Port Hope's most architecturally stunning houses. It is perched atop 15 acres of land overlooking Lake Ontario. Throughout the centuries, this exquisite home with its pillared portico, picket fences and lushly landscaped grounds has been an unforgettable landmark on the horizon. Bringing us to the present, The Hillcrest opened its doors as a fully equipped inn and spa in 2000 as a sister location to the Ste. Anne’s Spa. In 2004, Robin Dines purchased The Hillcrest and started a new chapter in its history, branching off as its own stand-alone destination spa. We invite you to stop by for a visit and see the beautiful house and grounds for yourself!


- - -

Frank Nicholson Schwartz (1873-) Graduated from Yale. married Leila Clarkson, lived at 5600 Northumberland Avenue. Was a member of the Pittsburgh Club and the Pittsburgh Golf Club. Had at least the following children:

- James Ernest Schwartz (1902) (later Black) They are listed in the New York Social Register of 1930 at the home of Mr and Mrs E F Darrell, as follows: (Darrell, Mr. & Mrs. Edward Fairbairn, 133 E. 64 & "Cove Lawn," Stonington, Ct. Mr. & Mrs. James Ernest Black Mr. Richard D. Darrell Mr. George H. Darrell Mr. Edward F. Darrell, Jr.)

More about Edward Fairbairn Darrell...(Obituary, notice that the Blacks are not named indicating that a death or divorce may have occured)...The New York Times, January 23, 1941, excerpted: obituary of Edward F. Darrell, died day before (?) Edward Fairbairn Darrell of 133 E. 64th St., New York City and Stonington, Connecticut. Died St. Luke's Hospital, N.Y.C. In 1902 founded E.F. Darrell & Co., New York City. Member of New York Produce Exchange, President of St. George's Society. Born: Hamilton, Bermuda, son of former chief justice Richard Darrell of Bermuda and Mary Anne Moore Godet Darrell. Leaves a widow, former Sarah Stone McEckron and sons, Richard D. Darrell, Edward F. Darrell, Jr., George H. Darrell, daughters Mrs. Dorothy Harvey and Mrs. Emily Atwood. (Source: New York City Public Library)

- Clarkson Schwartz (1904) (later Black).

Their summer home was Sutherland Farm, Cobourg, Ontario. As with his brother, the last name was changed to Black before 1920.

* * *

In the spring of 1900, James Ernest Schwartz went to Europe as a rest cure, to recover from a partial stroke. However, he suffered a second stroke and died abroad, in Dresden, Germany, on May 16, 1900.

James Ernest Schwartz was 46 at the time of the Johnstown Flood.

Monday, February 26, 2007


Benjamin Thaw
March 14, 1859 – August 9, 1933

Even though they are less well known than the Carnegies, Fricks and Mellons, the Thaws were among the most prominent of the members of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club.

Benjamin Thaw was the son of William and Mary C. Thaw of Allegheny, PA. William Thaw’s father John Thaw came to Pittsburgh from Philadelphia in order to establish a branch of the United States Bank of Philadelphia. John Thaw was associated with that institution for the remainder of his life. The Thaws were major stockholders in that enterprise.

Their son, transportation and banking genius William Thaw was born in Pittsburgh on October 12, 1818 and died in Paris the same year as the Johnstown Flood, on August 17, 1889. He began his business career as a clerk in his father’s bank. Thereafter he worked for McKee, Clark and Co.

In 1841, William Thaw married Eliza Burd Blair (she died in 1863). In 1842, he and his brother-in-law established themselves in as transporters and owners of steam canal boats. Competition was rife but Clarke and Thaw controlled the Pennsylvania and Ohio line. Their business grew to include canal, portage railroad and steamboat lines. As canal changed to rail transportation, William Thaw engaged in the new technology while divesting himself of the canal business. He was a founder of the Pennsylvania Company, which managed the interests of the Pennsylvania railroad west of the mountains, and was therefore an advisor to and the constant when the transitions occurred by successive Pennsylvania railroad presidents, Thompson, Scott and Roberts. While he concentrated mainly on the financial aspects of the railroad after 1873, William Thaw also helped to establish the first international steamship line, the Red Star Line, to which was later added the American line. He underwrote Prof. Langley’s expiation to Mt Whitney and the building of the Allegheny Observatory for John Brashear. The telescope that his son provided in his memory is considered to be one of the ten best in the world...

NUMBER 7 — 30-inch William Thaw Telescope by John Brashear, Allegheny Observatory, Pittsburgh PA; 1914. Number 7 is the youngest in this list, the 30-inch by Brashear at the Allegheny Observatory in Pittsburgh. Railroad tycoon William Thaw was friendly with observatory director Samuel Pierpoint Langley, and had donated generously to the Observatory. The 30-inch was the gift of his son in his memory in 1914. It is a photo-refractor of 46-feet focal length and was used for one of the most extensive studies of stellar parallax.

William Thaw was a Presbyterian and his church, Third Presbyterian, was a frequent beneficiary of his support.

William Thaw was the majority stockholder in the Pennsylvania and served on its board of directors. (Many of the S F F & H C members had ties to the Pennsylvania Railroad). Thaw had similiar investment in other railroads, as well. Thaw was known not so much for his fortune as for the admirable ways in which he had spent it, endowing science fellowships at Harvard and Princeton and bestowing lavish gifts on art and education.

William Thaw's efforts extended well beyond Western Pennsylvania. When the East St. Louis and Interurban Water Co. turns on city's first water mains, it was courtesy of William Thaw. The company was run by Thaw (who had been encouraged to come to East St. Louis by John Bowman) who later also ran the city's first gas company. About one hundred families availed themselves of this service when it was first offered.

* * * * *

Benjamin Thaw,
the son of William and Eliza Thaw, was born on March 14, 1859. Following the death of Eliza Burd Blair Thaw (1863), William married Mary Sibbet Copley, the daughter of Josiah Copley (who was one of the founders of Kittanning and at one time the editor of the Pittsburgh Dispatch).

Benjamin had the following siblings:

Children of Wiliam and Eliza Thaw:

- William Thaw, Jr. (1853-1892) married Elizabeth "Lizzie" Dohrmann (1854-1948), their son was Wililam Thaw III.

- Mary Thaw (?) married William Reed Thompson in 1879; they had five children. Their daughter Helen Thaw Thompson married John Crossan Dilworth.

- Blair Thaw (1861-) married a Miss Dawes from Boston.

Children of William and Mary Thaw:

- Harry Kendall Thaw (February 12, 1871 - February 22, 1947) - married Evelyn Nesbit, murdered Stanford White (about which, more, below)...

- Edward "Eddie" Thaw (January 1, 1873-May 17, 1924) - In an infamous case of 1887, his aunt Mrs. Bunnell was charged with poisoning her nephew, Eddie Thaw. George Elphinstone City Attorney of Allegheny, appeared in this case as prosecuting attorney. Eddie survived, and married Freida Lawrence Marsh in April of 1896.

- Josiah Copley Thaw (June 13, 1874 - ) As noted below I have made this correction on the wife of Josiah Copley Thaw: Her name was Mary Harrington Thomson, born 18 Jun 1880 in Port Huron, St. Clair County, Michigan, daughter of John Webster Thomson and Ida Harrington. Mary met Josiah Copley Thaw when visiting the summer home of Mr. and Mrs. Rice in St. Clair, Michigan, and they were married in Grace Episcopal Church, Port Huron, 18 Nov 1903. Mary died in New York City 23 Feb 1947 and is buried in Southampton, New York. J.C. Thaw surrounded himself with exquisite accoutrements in a massive European-style seaside mansion built in Southampton, Long Island in 1911. Josiah Thaw and H C Frick were the chief benefators of the new building for Third Presbyterian Church, Pittsburgh, which stands at Wilkins and Fifth Avenues (The building it replaced stood where the William Penn Hotel now stands--Frick bought the old church so he could build the hotel there.)

- Margaret Copley Thaw (January 9, 1877 - January 9, 1942) married George Lauder Carnegie (1876-1921), the son of Andrew Carnegie's brother Thomas Morrison Carnegie (1844-1886) and his wife Lucy Ackerman Coleman (1847-1916), therefore Andew Carnegie's nephew. Their island is now Cumberland Island National Seashore. Settled by this branch of the renowned Carnegie family in 1881, Cumberland Island became a national park in 1972. Along with the wild horses and the ruins of Lucy Carnegie's home Dungeness, Cumberland Island is the home of Plum Orchard – a 1898 Georgian Revival mansion built by Lucy Carnegie for her son, George and his wife, Margaret Thaw. This mansion was donated to the National Park Foundation by the Carnegie family in 1971. SFF&HC member Cyrus Elder's son George Reuben Elder and family were their friends and frequent visitors. George Carnegie's mother gave each of her children a piece of the island and the money to build any type of home they chose if they agreed to live there and raise their children. Of course, living there meant staying there for about 6 months of the year before retiring to their other residences in the Northeast. She retained possession the parcels of land and the homes; controlling them even after her death by not allowing any property to be sold until the youngest of her children passed away... Margaret and her sister Alice were their mother's supporters in the courtroom during the trial of their brother Harry K Thaw. Margaret married (2) Count Roger Perigny on Nov. 1923 in Paris, France. They divided their time between Paris and their farm in Kenya. Margaret Copley Thaw Carnegie died in Kenya at "Kongoni Farm", on her 65th birthday.

Here are George Carnegie and his siblings, who themselves made interesting marriages...

William Coleman Carnegie - b: 24 APR 1867
Frank Morrison Carnegie - b: 12 SEP 1868
Andrew Carnegie II - b: 1 JUN 1870 in Pittsburgh, PA [his granddaughter Nancy Campbell Sherlock Carnegie married James Stillman Rockefeller great-nephew of John D. Rockefeller]
Margaret Carnegie - b: 1872 [The hotel on Cumberland Island, GA known as Greyfield Inn was built in 1901 as a wedding present from Lucy Coleman Carnegie to her daughter Margaret who married Oliver Ricketson.]
Thomas Morrison Carnegie Jr - b: 6 JAN 1874
George Lauder Carnegie - b: 1876
Florence Nightengale Carnegie - b: 1879
Coleman Carnegie - b: 24 JUL 1880
Nancy Trovillo Carnegie - b: 1881

- Alice Thaw (January 2, 1880 - ? March 1969) - Baptized 11 DEC 1881 at 3rd Presbyterian Church, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania Alice Cornelia (Thaw) Seymour Whitney; in a much talked of international match, she became the Countess of Yarmouth. She married George Francis Alexander Seymour (20 October 1871, d. 16 February 1940), the son of Hugh de Grey Seymour, 6th Marquess of Hertford and Hon. Mary Hood, on 27 April 1903 in Pittsburgh. It is said that the earl extorted money from her at her wedding and promptly deserted her. Her marriage to George Francis Alexander Seymour was annulled in 1908. He was styled Lord Hertford; he died in 1940, aged 68 and childless, and his titles passed to his nephew. Later (before 1914), Alice Thaw became Mrs. Geoffrey G. Whitney (Geoffrey Gordon Whitney was born July 21, 1882 in Boston). Their estate was at Woods Hole.

By 1880, William and Mary Thaw’s Allegheny household was both a large and lavish one, they kept at least nine household servants including two nursemaids, a cook, a housekeeper, a waiter and a coachman. Thereafter they removed to an estate called "Lyndhurst" on Beechwood Boulevard.

Benjamin Thaw
attended the Western University (now Pitt) (A.B. I878), and Yale. Not surprisingly, Benjamin Thaw started his business career as a clerk with the Pennsylvania railroad. Thereafter he entered into the coke business, in partnership with his elder brother and the Darsie brothers, organizing the Heda Coke Company. This firm was merged with SFF&HC member Henry Clay Frick’s Frick Coke Company in 1905; thereafter Benjamin Thaw withdrew from active participation in the coke company and concentrated his attention on managing the William Thaw estate, as well as engaging in philanthropic activities.

On January 28, 1886, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Benjamin Thaw married Elma Ellsworth Dows (October 13, 1861 - November 13, 1931). Elma was the daughter of Stephen Leland and Henrietta (Safely) Dows; her sister was Elizabeth Holroyd Dows who became Mrs. Thompson McClintock of Pittsburgh.

Their children were:

- The Rev. Stephen Dows Thaw (April 12, 1887 - ) a graduate of Shady Side Academy and Yale (Class of '07). His wife's first name was Elise; Alexander Blair Thaw III (see below) was their son.

- Benjamin Thaw (Dec. 11, 1888 - March 5, 1937) Known as Benny. Secretary of the American Legation in Brussels, Belgium; later, First Secretary of the Embassy at Santiago, Chile and secretary to the US Embassy in London from 1930-1933; he married one of the three glamorous Morgan sisters, Consuelo Morgan. They were the daughters of Harry Hays Morgan, an American diplomat who was U.S. consul in Buenos Aires and in Brussels, and his half-Chilean, half-Irish-American wife, Laura Delphine Kilpatrick. Consuelo's twin sisters were more famous than she: Thelma Morgan (August 23, 1904 – January 29, 1970), the wife of Marmaduke, Viscount Furness (who was the mistress of and introduced Wallis Simpson to the future Edward VIII); and Gloria Morgan, the wife of Reginald Vanderbilt (mother of the jeans designer; and grandmother of news anchor Anderson Cooper). Here is their wedding notice from TIME, June 4, 1924: Married. Consuelo Morgan, divorced wife of the Comte de Maupas du Juglart, daughter of Harry Hays Morgan, American Consul General at Brussels, and sister of Mrs. Reginald C. Vanderbilt, to Benjamin Thaw, Jr., acting chargé d'affaires of the American Embassy, at Ixelles, Belgium. Theirs was a happy marriage. After Benjamin Jr's death, Consuelo would marry again, see this notice from TIME, May 11, 1942, Married. Consuelo Morgan Thaw, 40, sister of Mrs. Reginald Vanderbilt (mother of Gloria), of Lady Furness, of Harry Hays Morgan Jr.; and Alfons Beaumont Landa, 44, law partner of Joseph E. Davies; she for the third time, he for the second; in Beverly Hills. However, she would be buried with the Thaw family in Allegheny Cemetery (see below).

- Henrietta Thaw (Slade) (April 19, 1891 - January 1, 1942) married Lawrence Slade (August 7, 1891 - April 11, 1942). The Sunday Journal and Tribune Knoxville, Tennessee: January 3, 1915: Displayed is a photo of Miss Henrietta Thaw with title "Engaged to Wed". The text: "Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Thaw, of Pittsburg, have announced the engagement of their daughter, Miss Henrietta Thaw, to Lawrence Slade, of New York. Miss Thaw is a granddaughter of Mrs. William Thaw. Her brothers are Mr. Stephen D. Thaw, Mr. Benjamin Thaw, Jr.; Mr. William Thaw, 2nd, an aviator, who offered his services to the French government when the war in Europe started, and Mr. Alexander B. Thaw, 2nd. Mrs Benjamin Thaw was Miss Elena Dows. Mrs. Thaw and her daughter returned from Europe in September. Mr. Slade's home is in New York. He is the Paris representative of the Equitable Trust Company and is now in Paris. He is a member of an old New York family." (Note that SFF&HC member John G A Leishman's daughter Marthe married (2) James Hazen Hyde the son of the founder of Equitable).

- William Thaw, Jr. (August 10, 1893 - April 22, 1934) Called "Bill". Also a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh. He wrote of his European travels which were published in the university’s “Journal”. Rose to the rank of Major in W W I and was a member of the famous Lafayette Escadrille. Abandoning his studies at Yale in 1913, Thaw obtained a pilot's certificate from the Curtiss school and became a flight instructor. When war broke out in Europe, he volunteered for the French Air Service but was rejected. Instead, on 4 September 1914, he joined the French Foreign Legion and served in the trenches. Despite poor vision, defective hearing and a bad knee, Thaw was permitted to join the French Air Service in December 1914. After serving as an observer/gunner, he received flight training and was reassigned to the Escadrille Americaine on 28 April 1916. By the time this squadron was disbanded in February 1918, Thaw had achieved two confirmed victories. While serving with the 103rd Pursuit Squadron, he scored three more victories to become an ace. The first American to be cited for gallantry and promoted by the French, Thaw may well have been the first American to participate in aerial combat during World War I. When the war ended, he returned to the United States and became an insurance agent. Married Marjorie Everts of St. Louis.

"For extraordinary heroism near Reims, France, 26 March 1918. Major Thaw was the leader of a patrol of three planes which attacked five enemy scouts and three two-seaters. He and another member of the patrol brought down one enemy plane and the three drove down out of control two others and dispersed the remainder." DSC citation.

"For extraordinary heroism in action near Montaigne, France, 20 April 1918. In the region of Montaigne, Major Thaw attacked and brought down burning an enemy balloon. While returning to his own lines the same day, he attacked two enemy scouts, one of which he shot down in flames." DSC Oak Leaf Cluster citation.

"Voluntarily enlisted for the duration of the war. Remarkable pilot by his spirit, skill and scorn for danger. Recently, he had eighteen aerial combats at close quarters. On the morning of 24 May [1916], he attacked and downed an enemy plane. The same evening, he attacked a group of three German planes and pursued them from 4,000 meters to 1,000 meters. Severely wounded during the course of the combat, he succeeded, by the grace of his strength, skill and audacity, to return to our lines with his plane severely damaged and landed normally. Already cited twice in orders." Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur citation, 18 June 1916.

- Alexander Blair Thaw (Dec. 23, 1895 – Aug. 18, 1918) Lt. A. Blair Thaw, CO of the 135. th. Observation Squadron was killed in an air crash during World War I; Alexander Blair Thaw was an early advocate of aviation along with his brother Wm. Jr.:


Brother of Major Thaw Has Engine Trouble and Plane Collapses Upside Down With the American Army in France,

August 22. - (By the Associated Press) - Lieutenant Blair Thaw, of Pittsburg, a member of the American aviation service, was killed Sunday evening when his airplane fell as the result of engine trouble. Lieutenant Thaw, who was a brother of Major William Thaw and a son of Benjamin Thaw of Pittsburg, was traveling in a pursuit group near the front toward Paris. The engine trouble developed at an altitude of 2,000 feet and the machine when it fell struck a number of telephone wires and collapsed, upside down. Thaw was instantly killed and his companion aviator was badly injured. Thaw, although less well known than his brother, had just been promoted to command a flying squadron and was on his way to take over the squadron when he fell to his death. His body was taken to an evacuation hospital, where impressive funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon. The body was buried in the same plot where the remains of Major Raoul Lufbery are interred. (Altoona Tribune, Friday morning, August 23, 1918, page 9).

Their family home on Moorewood Place in the East End...

5010 Morewood Place, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

The house was built in the very early first decade of the 1900's at a significant cost of $135,000 with some $15,000 alone going into just one of the carved marble fireplaces imported from Italy and dated from the year 1500. It was a three-and-one-half story building, of grey brick, erected at a time when houses were built to stay up; the exterior walls were two feet thick. There were 20 rooms and eight baths, and a six-car garage in the basement.

On the first floor was the entrance hall, two lounging rooms, dining room, butler's pantry, kitchen, a servant's sitting room and a lavatory. All of the rooms were extra large. The walls of the first floor rooms were covered with tapestry, as were the walls of the hallways throughout the house. The second floor had six study rooms and five baths. The third floor had three study rooms, two sleeping rooms, two baths, a servant's suite of three rooms, and a game room. The game room took up the whole front part of the third floor and measured 50 by 20 feet. Its walls were covered with deep red tapestry. It was furnished with a pool table, a ping-pong table, a piano, a radio and several lounging chairs and sofas.

Once the scene of some of the city's most glittering social affairs, the Thaw home was lavishly furnished with eighteenth-century French and English furniture, Goebin tapestries, priceless rugs and sculptures that were museum pieces. The Thaw family enjoyed their home for some 30 years.

Most of the treasures were distributed to the family following Benjamin Thaw's death in 1933. But at the time it was bought by the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternty in 1936, the walls of the drawing room were still covered with a deep green tapestry and there hung a lone portrait of Andrew Carnegie.

The stone and marble mantles, centuries old, the tapestry covered walls and rich dark woodwork was all that remained. This suggesting the elegant, more leisurely days when Pittsburgh's first families lived and entertained in huge dwellings, modeled after European palaces..

In the early 1900s, the Thaw family also had a home at 854 Fifth Avenue, New York, which had undergone extensive remodelings by the architectrual firm of Lamb and Rich in 1891.

Benjamin Thaw was a member of the Duquesne Club, the Pittsburgh Athletic Club and the Aero Club of America. He served as a trustee of the University of Pittsburgh from 1890 until his death in 1933. Their summer home was "Beach Mound" (sometimes spelled "Beachmond") at Newport, RI; it is still standing.

* * *

Sadly, the best-remembered member of the Thaw family is Benjamin's brother, the ill-fated Harry K. Thaw, who shot society architect Stanford White over Mrs. Thaw the former Evelyn Nesbit. Evelyn, a Pittsburgh native, had been an artists' model in New York and served as the original of Charles Dana Gibson's "Gibson Girl". She was photographed by Burr McIntosh (son of the SFF&HC member) and also appeared on stage as one of the celebrated "Floradora" Girls from the Broadway show of that name.

There are many fine resources in print and on line about this tragic event, including the novel “Ragtime” as well as a study of Stanford White's life by one of his descendents, "Architect of Desire".

Evelyn Florence Nesbit was the daughter of Winfield Scott Nesbit and Florence Evelyn McKenzie. Afer her father' s death, she and her mother went to New York. Subseqnetly, her mother married C J Holman.

Harry K. and Evelyn Nesbit Thaw were wed by the Rev. W. L. McEwan in the parsonage of Third Presbyterian Church on April 4, 1905 after much speculation in the press regarding their relationship, his mother, Mrs. William Thaw having been opposed to the match and Pittsburgh society having snubbed Evelyn.

At the time of his arrest for the shooting, Thaw said, "I would appreciate if you would tell Burr McIntosh, or ex-judge Hornblower, or Joseph H. Choate of what has happened."

They had one son, Russell William Thaw. Here is his biography as it appears in Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Russell William Thaw (25 October 1910 in Berlin, Germany - 6 May 1984 in California) was a racing pilot who fought in World War II. Thaw was the son of Evelyn Nesbit and, legally, he was also the son of her husband Harry K. Thaw. The Thaw-Nesbit couple became notorious after Thaw murdered Stanford White, Nesbit's former lover, at Madison Square Garden in 1906. Born in Berlin, Germany, Russell William Thaw was treated indifferently by the man supposed to be his father, as Harry K. Thaw never accepted Russell William as his son—quite reasonably, as Russell was born four years after his putative father had been incarcerated in the Matteawan State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. Thaw's mother, who initially testified that Russell was Harry's son, eventually admitted he was not, but refused to name his actual biological father. As a child, Russell Thaw co-starred with his mother in at least five films: Threads of Destiny (1918), Redemption (1917), Her Mistake (1918), The Woman Who Gave (1918), I Want to Forget (1918), and The Hidden Woman (1922). Thaw participated in two of the cross-country Bendix trophy races, which were instituted in 1931 and held annually to promote and encourage the achievements of U.S. aviation. Flying the Gee Bee "Model R-2" - P&W Wasp, he withdrew from the 1933 race. Flying the Northrop Gamma - Wright Cyclone, he came in third in the 1935 race from Los Angeles to Cleveland (ahead of Amelia Earhart in 5th place). Around this time, he also was the private pilot to the Guggenheim family. On 17 July 1936, he married Katherine "Kay" Roberts, whom the New York Times described as a Beverly Hills debutante and a graduate of Radcliffe College. After their wedding, they moved to White Plains, New York. They separated on 15 March 1939, when Katherine Thaw sued her husband for cruelty and "refused to live with her." Their divorce was finalized on 8 July 1941, with Katherine Thaw stating that her husband had separated from her because he said he could not support them both. During World War II, Russell William Thaw became one of the most noted American pilots, obtaining five air victories, three of them as part of the 103rd Squadron. In his later years, he served as the postmaster of a small town in Connecticut. He died in Santa Barbara, California.

* * * *

Here are the Thaws who are buried in Allegheny Cemetery, Pittsburgh:

THAW, Agnes, Aug 7, 1883-Jan 1, 1885 (daughter of William and Mary)

THAW, Albert Copely, Jan 7, 1869-July 4, 1869, son of William and Mary

THAW, Alexander Blair III, Jan 13, 1920-Feb 14, 2001, born in Pittsburgh, died in Washington DC, beloved son of Elise and Stephen Dows Thaw, beloved husband of Thelma"Sandra" Thaw

THAW, Alexander Blair, Jr., Dec 22, 1898-Aug 18, 1918, St. Mihiel, France

THAW, Benjamin, Jr., Dec 11, 1888-Mar 5, 1937

THAW, Benjamin, Mar 14, 1859-Aug 9, 1933

THAW, Edward, Jan 1, 1873-May 17, 1924

THAW, Eliza Burd Blair, June 17, 1822-Apr 7, 1863, (first) wife of William Thaw, married June 17, 1841

THAW, Elizabeth Dohrman, 1854-1948, wife of William Jr.

THAW, Elma Dows, Oct 13, 1861-Nov 13, 1931 (w/o Benjamin)

THAW, Henry Kendall, Feb 12, 1871-Feb 22, 1947

THAW, John Alexander, July 19, 1852-Jan 6, 1853, son of William and Eliza

THAW, Laura Consuelo Morgan, Dec 17, 1901-Aug 26, 1979, wife of Benjamin, Jr.

THAW, Louisa, May 10, 1842-Aug 19, 1843, daughter of William and Eliza

THAW, Marjorie E., Dec 4, 1890-Mar 15, 1936

THAW, Mary Copely, June 14, 1842-June 9, 1929, (second) wife of William Thaw, I have fought the good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth, there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness.

THAW, William Jr., 1853-1892

THAW, William, Oct 21, 1818-Aug 17, 1889 (died in Paris, France)

SLADE, Henrietta Thaw, Apr 19, 1891-Jan 1, 1942, wife of Lawrence, buried on Benjamin Thaw lot

SLADE, Lawrence, Aug 7, 1891-Apr 11, 1942, buried on Benjamin Thaw lot


Moses Bedell Suydam
January 13, 1832 - January 14, 1895

Moses Bedell Suydam (born on January 13, 1832 in Newtown, Queens, New York) was the son of Moses Suydam (born 1784) and Mary Schoonmaker. His paternal grandparents were Hendrick Suydam (born 1751) and Phoebe Bedell, of Hallett s Cove, Long Island. Hendrick and Phoebe's daughter (Moses Bedell Suydam's aunt) Mary Suydam married Henry Whitney the sucessful New York City merchant; Henry was a branch of the famous Whitney family of New York.

Moses Bedell Suydam
was affiliated with M. B. Suydam and Company. The bustling early years of the borough when construction was reaching new peaks, saw the solid foundation of the paint industry laid in old Allegheny. Pioneering the firm was the Pittsburgh White Lead works, organized in 1832 by W G Stockton. “In 1832, James Schoonmaker also built and operated white lead works, which subsequently passed into the ownership of W A Stockton and CO., and is now carried on by M B Suydam and Co.” (Allegheny County’s First 100 Years, 1888) James Schoonmaker was the maternal uncle of Moses Bedell Suydam (Sr.).

The parent factory was located on Rebecca (Reedsdale) Street. Originally engaged in the manufacture of Dutch-processed white lead, other products of the paint industry gradually were added as the firm expanded under a series of reorganizations. Successively it became W. G. Stockton and Company; Suydam, Lawrence and Company (1878); M. B. Suydam and Company (1885), and the M. B. Suydam Company (1900). Each company in turn prospered and each served as the spring-board from which the next was formed. The paint products of the M B Suydam company were used by many of the largest bridge building firms in Western Pennsylvania, including, Carnegie Steel and Jones and Laughlin Steel.

In 1947 M B Suydam Co. became a division of Pittsburgh Plate Glass.

SFF&HC members James Willock and M B Suydam were directors of the Second National Bank of Pittsburgh, located at Ninth and Liberty, founded in 1859.

Moses Bedell Suydam married Emma Copeland.
Their Children:
Miss Emma Suydam
Miss Mary Suydam (the future Mrs. “Alex” Alexander Parker Lyon of Sewickley)
Mr. Richard S. Suydam
Mr. Moses Bedell Suydam, Jr.

More about the children:

EMMA SUYDAM is said never to have married.

MARY SUYDAM. Married on December 7, 1882, Alexander Parker Lyon (Dec. 27, 1859-March 3, 1892) of Sewickley, PA, the son of Alexander Parker Lyon, Sr., and Eliza T. Dennison. They had the following children: Emma Lyon, Copeland Lyon, Alexander Parker Lyon (III), Katharine T. Dennison Lyon.

RICHARD SCHOONMAKER SUYDAM. Richard S. Suydam, executive head of M. B. Suydam, paint manufacturers, Pittsburgh, was born April 22, 1872, on the North Side section of Pittsburgh which was then known as Allegheny City. His parents were M. B. and Emma C. (Copeland) Suydam. He was educated at Phillips-Andover Academy, Andover, Mass., and at Yale University. Mr. Suydam began his business career in 1893. In October of that year he was engaged as a mechanical engineer for McConway, Torley & Co. with which concern he remained until January 1895. From February, 1895, to the present time, he has been president and a director of the M. B. Suydam Company, manufacturers of paint and varnish, which business was founded by his father in 1832. He is also president and director of the T. H. Nevin Company, paint manufacturers, Pittsburgh, Pa. Mr. Suydam is a member of the Duquesne, Pittsburgh, and Allegheny Country and Pittsburgh Golf Clubs and Pittsburgh Athletic Association. He is also a member of the New York Railroad Club. On November 15, 1899, Mr. Suydam married Mary E. Dilworth of Pittsburgh. Children: Elizabeth D. Suydam and Louise D. Suydam. Residence: 5416 Darlington Road...

MOSES BEDELL SUYDAM. “Moses B. Suydam, vice-president of the M. B. Suydam Company, paint and varnish manufacturers, Pittsburgh, was born in Allegheny City, Pa., on February 6, 1876, a son of Moses B. and Emma (Copeland) Suydam. He was educated at Shady Side Academy, Pa., and at Phillips-Andover Academy, Andover, Mass. He began his business career with the M. B. Suydam Company in 1896, as a general clerk, and has since been continuously identified with that company. The M. B. Suydam Company was founded in 1832, and in 1895, M. B. Suydam, this subject, and his brother, R. S. Suydam, entered the business, which was incorporated in 1900 with R. S. Suydam as president, M. B. Suydam, vice-president, and H. V. Natcher, secretary and treasurer. In addition to being vice-president and a director of the M. B. Suydam Company, Mr. Suydam is a director of the Allegheny Valley Bank, treasurer and a director of the Regal Paint & Oil Company, vice-president and director of the T. H. Nevin Company. He is a member of the Pittsburgh, Duquesne, and Pitts-burgh Golf Clubs and the Pittsburgh Athletic Association of Pittsburgh and of the Allegheny Country Club. He is a Master Mason, member of Fellowship Lodge. Mr. Suydam married, in 1901, Laura Catherine Liggett of Pittsburgh. Children: Laura Catherine, Mary Bedell and Margaret Liggett Suydam. Residence: 5130 Pembroke Place. Office: 61st and Butler Streets, Pittsburgh, Pa.

Sunday, February 25, 2007


H. C. Yeager –
1848 – ?

Henry C. Yeager, known as Harry, was born in 1848. He was the son of Christian Yeager and Elizabeth E. Harman Yeager, both of whom were also born in Pennsylvania. Christian Yeager was one of the leading merchants in Pittsburgh in the pre Civil War era and beyond. The firm was called C. Yeager and Company. They advertised themselves as importers and jobbers of dry goods and notions; their dry goods and trimming wholesaler business was located at 110 Market Street, Pittsburgh. Joseph Horne, the founder of the Pittsburgh department store dynasty and the father of South Fork Fishing & Hunting Club member Durbin Horne, worked for Christian Yeager when he first arrived in Pittsburgh from Bedford PA.

The dry goods business was in their genes. Here is a biographical sketch for H C Yeager’s maternal grandfather, Daniel Harman:
_ _ _
Daniel Harman, father of Mrs. Reuben A. Baer, was born in Lancaster county, and died in 1862 at the age of seventy-two years. He was buried in Woodward Hill cemetery, Lancaster. The parents of Mr. Harman were John and Esther (Kendrick) Harman, farming people of Lancaster county. For many years Daniel Harman was well known in the city of Lancaster, where he was a successful merchant, conducting a large store, his stock including dry goods, groceries, china, etc. On account of failing health, he retired from active business some years prior to his death. He was one of the leading, active members of St. John's Lutheran Church, and was one of its most liberal supporters. Mr. Harman was at the time of his death regarded as one of the wealthy and prominent citizens who had always done his full duty in the advancement of the best interests of Lancaster.

Daniel Harman was married in Lancaster, to Miss Susannah Herbst, who was born in Philadelphia, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Herbst, of that city. Mr. Herbst, a wealthy merchant of Philadelphia settled in Lancaster after his retirement, and there passed the remainder of his life. Mrs. Herbst died in 1871, at the age of seventy-two, and was interred by the side of her husband in the beautiful Woodward Hill cemetery in Lancaster. The children born to Mr.. and Mrs. Harman were as follows: Henry, who died in Lancaster; William Beates, who died in Cairo, Ill. during the Civil War, having been a soldier of Co. B. 1st Pa. Reserves; Elizabeth E., who died in 1901, the wife of Christian Yeager, a prominent retired merchant of Allegheny, Pa.; Anna M., who is the widow of William W. Wills, of Wilkinsburg, Pa., who carried on a wholesale and retail variety business; Mary L., widow of Reuben A. Baer; Susannah who died unmarried; and John and Samuel, who removed from Pennsylvania, the former becoming a merchant in Maryland, where he died, and the latter dying in California. These families are among the leading ones in Lancaster, and are truly representative of its commercial prosperity and social importance.
_ _ _

The Christian and Elizabeth E. Yeager had at least six children. Here is the family in 1870 living in Allegheny, PA.

Christian Yeager; age 54
Elizabeth Yeager, age 46
William Yeager, age 45
Harry C. Yeager, age 22
Edward H. Yeager, age 20
Lillie Yeager, age 18
Mary H. Yeager, 15
Frederick, age 12
Charles K.; age 10

More about Christian Yeager:

Circa 1859…
A group of 31 leading citizens of Pittsburgh whose interest in astronomy was awakened by the discovery of Donati’s comet, including Christian Yeager, formed the Allegheny Telescope Association, the precursor of the Allegheny Observatory. (Thomas Howe, C G Hussey, Felix Brunot and John H Shoenberger were also among this group).

In 1867 Christian Yeager was listed as a board member of Dollar Bank (chartered in 1855)… John H Shoenberger is also a director of the bank. Christian Yeager was a director of the Merchant’s bank founded in 1864 and of the Mechanics Bank, of which H S McKee was also a director. Christian was also a deacon of the First English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Pittsburgh and then a charter member of the First English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Allegheny, which became Trinity Lutheran Church. Christian served as the treasurer of the Pennsylvania Reform School.

H C Yeager would have been 41 at the time of the Johnstown Flood.

Saturday, February 24, 2007


Henry Phipps, Jr.

September 27, 1839 - September 22, 1930

Henry Phipps, Jr. was the son of an English shoemaker who came to America in the early part of the 19th century and lived for a time in Philadelphia before settling in Pittsburgh.

Henry Phipps grew up in poverty, and was a boyhood friend and neighbor of Andrew Carnegie. Like others of the SFF&HC, including John Leishman and Andrew Carnegie, Phipps began his busiess career as an office boy. He then became a bookkeeper. Phipps was a capable financier and served as Carnegie's business partner in the Carnegie Steel Company, which would make him him very wealthy, indeed, the company's second largest shareholder. At the time that Carnegie sold his steel business to the J. P. Morgan interests in 1901, Phipps was said to have made about $50 million.

Phipps was also a successful real estate investor and developer.

After the sale of his Carnegie Steel stock, Phipps set up the Bessemer Trust, named for the steelmaking process, in order to protect the inheritance of his five children. The Bessemer Trust is now one of three banks overseen by the Bessemer Group, whose clients include Phipps family descendents and other high worth investors. About $19 billion of assets are under their management. Grandchildern Howard Jr. (vice chairman of the Bessemer Board) and Anne Phipps Sidamon-Eristoff are among the trust's major beneficiaries. Mrs. Sidamon-Eristoff is one of the three copyright holders of Irving Berlin's "God Bless America." More than 100 fifth generation Phippses, including Guests, Mannings and Martins, share the rest of the fortune.

After the sale of Carnegie Steel, Henry Phipps devoted a great deal of his time and money to philanthropy.

On 6 Feb 1872, Henry Phipps married Anne Childs Shaffer, the daughter of a Pittsburgh manufacturer, by whom he had three sons and two daughters. Through the Childs family they are related to S F F & H C member H C Frick, whose wife was before her marriage Adelaide Childs. The Phippses had two daughters, Amy (Mrs. Frederick Guest) and Helen (Mrs. Bradley Martin), plus three sons, John Shaffer Phipps, Henry Carnegie Phipps, and Howard Phipps.

More about each of the five children of Henry Phipps, Jr.:

* * * *

1. Amy Phipps (1876-1959); in 1905 Amy married Captain Frederick E. Guest (1875-1937), who was both the grandson of the seventh Duke of Marlborough and also Winston Churchill's first cousin. (And thereby related by marriage to Consuelo Vanderbilt)

About their home in Palm Beach...

"White Eagle," was completed in 1918 at a cost of $1,102,000 and required a staff of 29 to look after its needs and those of Mr. and Mrs. Du Pont. Mrs. Du Pont, born Alicia Bradford Maddox, died unexpectedly in 1920. Upon remarrying, Alfred Du Pont sold the mansion in 1926 to Mr. and Mrs. Frederick E. Guest. Mrs. Guest, the daughter of Carnegie Steel Company partner, Henry Phipps, renamed the mansion "Templeton" when her husband, who was Winston Churchill's first cousin and the grandson of the seventh Duke of Marlborough, died 1937. When her parents gave up their Fifth Avenue residence in Manhattan, she had the marble entry hall and stairs removed to "Templeton." Upon her death in 1959, the mansion was passed down to her son, Winston Guest, who was well known as an international polo player.

More about Frederick E. Guest:

Frederick Edward "Freddie" Guest DSO (14 June 1875 – 28 April 1937) was a British politician best known for being Chief Whip of Prime Minister David Lloyd George's Coalition Liberal Party between 1917 and 1921. He was also Secretary of State for Air, 1921-22. Frederick Guest was the third son of Ivor Guest, 1st Baron Wimborne (1835–1914) and Lady Cornelia Spencer-Churchill (1847–1927), daughter of the 7th Duke of Marlborough. The Wimbornes were Conservatives who had been friends of Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield. Frederick was first cousin of Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965), son of Lady Cornelia's brother, the controversial Conservative politician Lord Randolph Churchill. In 1905, Guest married Amy Phipps (1873–1959), daughter of American industrialist Henry Phipps.
Guest's four brothers were also politically active, notably Ivor Churchill Guest, 2nd Baron and 1st Viscount Wimborne (1873–1939), a junior minister and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. In addition, Henry Guest (1874–1957) and Oscar Guest (1888–1958) were Members of Parliament, while Lionel Guest (1880–1935) was a member of the London County Council.
Educated at Winchester School, Frederick Guest chose the military profession. After apprenticeship in the militia, Guest became (1897) an officer in the 1st Life Guards. He was sent to Egypt in 1900, was decorated for bravery in the South African War (served 1901–02), and rose to captain before retiring from active duty (1906) to become private secretary to his cousin and close friend, Winston Churchill, a junior minister in Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman's Liberal government.

In 1904, during the controversy within the Conservative Party over adopting protectionism, Guest and other members of his family followed Churchill into the Liberal Party in support of free trade—and perhaps also to accelerate their political careers. Guest attempted three times to enter the House of Commons before winning the East Dorset seat in the Jan. 1910 general election. Although unseated because of election irregularities by his constituency agent, he was reelected in December 1910. Known in the political world as "Freddie Guest," he was a popular backbencher, became a Liberal Party whip in 1911, the same year was elected a charter member of the cross-bench Other Club of political insiders, and was appointed Treasurer of the Household (Deputy Chief Whip) in 1912.

When W.W. I began in August 1914, Guest returned to active service as aide-de-camp to Field Marshal Sir John French (see below for additional family connection to French), commander of the British Expeditionary Force in France. Guest performed confidential missions for French, liaising with the War Office and with political leaders. Later (1916) Guest served in the East African theater and was awarded the DSO. After being invalided out of the army following serious illness, Guest resumed his political career. In May 1917 he joined Lloyd George's Coalition government as joint patronage secretary of the treasury, or chief whip for the Coalition Liberals. In 1920 Guest became a Privy Counsellor and in 1921 was promoted to Secretary of State for Air, a post he held until the Coalition fell from power in October 1922. In the general election of November 1922 Guest lost his seat but in 1923 was returned for Stroud, then in 1924 for Bristol North. After losing as a Liberal in the 1929 election, he rejoined the Conservative Party, and sat as a Conservative from 1931 until his death from cancer in 1937 for Plymouth Drake.

Freddie Guest was an amateur motor racing driver and airplane pilot. In 1930 he became deputy master of the Guild of Air Pilots, and master in 1932. He also played polo, was a big-game hunter in East Africa, and was a celebrated man-about-town in London and New York City society. Guest's wife—who was prominent as a women's suffragist, philanthropist and aviation enthusiast—owned valuable property in Long Island. The couple were frequent visitors to the U.S. in the 1920s and 1930s. Their two sons, who became American citizens, were Winston F. Guest (1906–82), a polo great, and Raymond R. Guest (1907–91), United States Ambassador to Ireland 1965–68.

The children of Amy Phipps and Frederick Guest:

- Winston F. Guest (1906-1982) AKA Capt. Winston Frederick Churchill Guest, U.S. Marines. Married 1934-1944 (1) Helena Woolworth McCann [children: Winston Guest and Frederick Edward Guest]; Married (II) Lucy Douglas "CZ" Cochrane [children: Alexander Michael Dudley Churchill Guest and Cornelia Cochrane Guest]. At Old Westbury is a painging by J S Sargent of Mrs. Phipps with her grandson Winston Guest...

Mr. Winston F. Guest's first wife Helena Woolworth McCann, the granddaughter of Frank W. Woolworth of Five and Dime fame...

"Remembering Woolworth's" 1999 by KarenPlunkett-Powell; Page 136 says...

"Frank's eldest daughter, Helena Woolworth McCann, lived a more sedate and gracious life. The McCanns spent much of their time in their country home, Sunken Orchard, located in exclusive Oyster Bay, Long Island. Helena and Charles also devoted much of their time to fund-raising events, and for a short period, Charles McCann served on the board of directors for the F. W. Woolworth Co. Helena died in 1938. Of her three surviving children, Frazier was a gentleman farmer in Connecticut; Constance married Willis Roseter Betts Jr., and Helena married Winston Guest, a well-known polo player. All of the McCann children were considered generous. In 1963, for example, Frazier and his sister, Helena McCann Charlton, were the major contributors of the Woolworth Center of Musical Studies in Princeton, New Jersey, which they named in memory of their grandfather. However, neither Frazier, Constance, nor Helena became involved in the F. W. Woolworth Co. business."

Mr. Winston F. Guest's second wife known as "CZ" was considerd in her own circle to be one of the most stylish women of the age. Here is an obituary tribute...

("The London Independent", November 10, 2003) STYLE, C.Z. Guest once observed, "is about surviving, about having been through a lot and making it look easy". Tribulation, it is fair to say, was not the characteristic most commonly associated with her gilded existence. But style she possessed in yachtloads. Through her rich and varied life - as skilled horsewoman, gardening columnist, fashion icon and noted beauty, and friend or relative to everyone from Truman Capote and Winston Churchill to the British monarchy - style was the constant. If New York society had a queen in the middle and late 20th century, it was her. She was born Lucy Cochrane, the second of five children of Alexander Cochrane, a wealthy Boston investment banker. To her siblings however, she was "Sissy", a moniker that quickly contracted to "C.Z.". Her course in life was quickly set. She came out in 1937, and two years later was voted "glamour girl" of the Massachusetts North Shore, and for a few years toyed with showbusiness - if only, as she later remarked, "to be a successful enough actress to get myself thrown out of the Social Register". By her own admission, her thespian talent was zero. Guest's looks however were more than noteworthy. She was an American classic along the lines of Grace Kelly, blonde, patrician and martini- cool. Her beauty, the writer Jill Gerston once noted, is indigenous to socially registered enclaves like Palm Beach and Southampton, a sporty, outdoorsy look that eschews make-up, hairspray and anything trendy. She has an outspoken, coolly self-assured manner and a throaty, well-modulated voice with a trace of a British accent.
The British aspect extended well beyond her looks. Her husband was Winston Frederick Churchill Guest - not only an international polo star and heir to the Phipps steel fortune, but also second cousin to the greatest scion of Britain's greatest political dynasty. Later the couple became close friends with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, who became godparents to their two children. By the time of her marriage in 1947, C.Z. already seemed to know everybody. The ceremony took place at Ernest Hemingway's house in Cuba, with the author serving as best man. For more than three decades, until Winston Guest's death in 1982, she travelled the world with her husband, with a place by right in the great social salons of the day.
In her latter years she gained a new and different kind of celebrity, as a gardening columnist. From her youth, Guest had been interested in gardening, and to the Windsors she would dispense advice on matters horticultural. But after a riding accident in 1976, she turned to writing about gardening in earnest. A column for the New York Post (a rather downmarket outlet for so upmarket a lady) began in 1978. She wrote simply but authoritatively - a style evident in her best-selling First Garden of 1987, complete with illustrations by her "very dear friend" Cecil Beaton and an introduction by another "dear, dear friend", the author Truman Capote. There followed a children's book, Tiny Green Thumbs (2000). At its height, the column was syndicated in 350 papers across the United States. Over the years, C.Z. Guest on gardening developed into a minor industry, with its own website and branded accessories for the gardener who wanted a dash of elegance as well.
"A cool, vanilla lady," was how Capote described her, an image re- inforced in 1982 when she appeared on the cover of Time magazine, as emblem of American high society. The article sealed Guest into the national subconscious, part of an untouchable, eternal horsey set, clad in jodhpurs, patrolling a beautiful Long Island estate on shimmering summer afternoons, trailing handsome hunting dogs in her wake. Despite her death, the family's traditions are in good hands. Her daughter Cornelia in 1982 was anointed "Deb of the Year" by Life magazine, and "Deb of the Decade" four years later. Following in her mother's footsteps, Cornelia is an accomplished horsewoman, a minor celebrity and an indefatigable socialiser in her own right.
Lucy Douglas "C.Z." Cochrane, socialite and gardening writer: born Boston, Massachusetts 19 February 1920; married 1947 Winston Guest (died 1982; one son, one daughter); died Old Westbury, New York 8 November 2003.

The New York Social Diary obituary for C Z Guest may be found at:

She was often photographed by society photographers, for instance from 1947 by George Platt Lynes:

Down to the year of her death 2003, by Bruce Weber.

Mrs. Winston Guest and her son were subjects of a beautiful and famous photograph...

Slim Aarons' "The Good Life", Mrs. F.C. Winston Guest (CZ) and her son Alexander Michael Douglas Guest in front of Grecian temple pool on their ocean front estate, Villa Artemis, Palm Beach, FL.Courtesy: Staley-Wise-New York:

She also appeared on the cover of Time, on July 20, 1962, in riding clothes with her weimerimer in front of Westbury House, L.I.,16641,1101620720,00.html&h=527&w=400&sz=48&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=JHah11_el8VOuM:&tbnh=132&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522winston%2Bguest%2522%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den

- Raymond Guest ()

Here is more on Raymond Richard Guest...

Raymond Guest played in the Golden Age of Polo, when the best players in the world were amateurs competing for honor, glory and a good bit of fun. He, along with his immortal brother, Winston Guest, competed and excelled in all of the major high-goal events in the pre-World War II era. A perennial all-star in both the arena and the outdoor versions of the sport, he first achieved an 8-goal outdoor handicap in 1933 playing for his Meadow Brook Polo Club. As part of the famed Templeton team, he won the U.S. Open in 1932 and 1934 and the Monty Waterbury in 1931 and 1934. His defensive skills were legendary, and he was accorded the honor of playing Back for the East team in the legendary 1933 East-West series.

Obituaries on Raymond R. Guest's son and namesake...
NY Times, Published: April 19, 2001
GUEST-Raymond R. (Andy). Died of Lymphoma, April 2, 2001 at his home, Rock Hill Farm, in Front Royal, Virginia. He was born September 29, 1939, the son of the late Ambassador Raymond R. Guest and Elizabeth (Lily) Polk Guest. Mr. Guest attended the Pomfret School, and was graduated from Yale University in 1964. He served in the U.S. Marine Corp Reserve and spent his adult life farming in Virginia. In 1971, Mr. Guest was elected to the Virginia House of Delegates, an office he held until he retired in 1999. He served on the Committees on Conservation and Natural Resources; Agriculture; Roads and Internal Navigation; Appropriations; and Rules, and served as Minority Leader from 1986-1992. He was also a member of the Virginia State Crime Commission and the Virginia Industrial Development Authority. Mr. Guest served on the Board of Directors of Bessemer Trust Companies and Bessemer Securities Corporation. Survivors include his wife, Mary Scott Derrick Guest of Front Royal; three children, Mary Elizabeth Looney, Raymond R. Guest III, and William G. Yarborough III; three sisters, Elizabeth Guest Stevens, Virginia Guest Valentine, and Laetitia Guest Oppenheim, a brother, Achille Murat Guest and six grandchildren. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the St. Luke's Community Clinic, 842 North Shenandoah Avenue, Front Royal, VA. 22630, or Cunningham Chapel, Millwood, VA. 22646.

More on the same...

Outdoor sportsmen and Virginia's horse-breeding community had a strong and steadfast friend in state Del. Raymond R. 'Andy' Guest Jr. The 61-year-old delegate, who retired in 1999, died Monday after a long battle with cancer. During his 28 years representing Warren County at the General Assembly, the Republican Mr. Guest championed causes of pari-mutuel betting and of land and wildlife conservation.
"Andy devoted his adult life to public service," said Mr. Guest's wife, Mary Scott Guest. "He served his country, his state, his community and his family with honor, dignity and devotion."
He was "a steward of the environment," Gov. Jim Gilmore said, lauding the seven-term delegate for working "tirelessly to ensure conservation efforts remained a priority for the Commonwealth."
A banker and farmer by profession, Mr. Guest was a 1964 graduate of Yale University. He also served in the Marine Corps reserves and proudly sported a Marine Corps tattoo on his upper arm. First elected the House of Delegates in 1971, Mr. Guest was the Republican floor leader from 1986 to 1991. U.S. Sen. George Allen, who served with Mr. Guest in the House of Delegates called his former colleague a pioneer.
"He plowed the ground," said Allen. "He was a Republican when there weren't many Republicans."
Even as he faced down the then-overwhelming Democratic majority in Richmond, said Allen, "He wouldn't flinch from all the slings and arrows. He was one who loved the land and loved the people. He would stand like a stone wall for those principles."
One principle that made Mr. Guest so effective, speculated Alson H. Smith, was his ability to work with his Democrat peers.
"He was one of the most effective and respected members on both sides of the aisle," said Smith, a Democrat, who served the same region as Mr. Guest and who was a longtime friend. "There was no one in the Virginia legislature more effective at bringing [Republicans and Democrats] together."
Allen recalled that his first year as governor was also a pivotal year for Mr. Guest.
"The 1994 session was a physical and emotional roller coaster ride for the rugged outdoors-loving lawmaker. Cancer, first diagnosed years earlier in his lymph nodes, had returned. Without immediate treatment, doctors gave Mr. Guest little chance of long-term survival.
At the Medical College of Virginia Hospitals he underwent a grueling course of chemotherapy and a stem-cell transplant that left him weakened and vulnerable to infection.
Even from a hospital bed, Mr. Guest kept his mind on the assembly session across the street. He missed 35 days of the session but participated through absentee votes. He even sponsored four bills and a number of budget amendments.
His only complaint as he listened to the floor debates? "I can't holler back at 'em."
The real appeal of the session, Mr. Guest said, next to the privilege of serving his constituents, was that it never ceased to be "intellectually fascinating."
After completing treatment, Mr. Guest returned to the floor to an emotional show from his colleagues on both sides of the aisle. He served as co-chairman of the Conservation and Natural Resources Committee during his final assembly session in 1999. During that session Mr. Guest shocked his peers with a short, emotional retirement announcement from the floor of the House. "I don't know how to say goodbye and I'm not going to," said Mr. Guest with tears in his eyes. Other members on both sides of the aisle cried openly.
Mr. Guest is perhaps best remembered for his support of the 1988 pari-mutuel betting bill that made possible the Colonial Downs horse track in New Kent and four pari-mutuel betting parlors elsewhere in the state. The bill passed and was approved in a statewide referendum. Mr. Guest had sponsored similar legislation 10 years earlier. Both the bill and the referendum faced stiff opposition from groups opposed to state-sanctioned gambling. Said Mr. Guest of his critics: "Perhaps I have more faith in the individual citizens of the commonwealth than those who feel they have to act on [citizens'] behalf to protect them from themselves."
This was Mr. Guest's hallmark, that he had little patience for "nanny government," Allen said. "He was common sense."
Mr. Guest is survived by his wife, Mary Scott Derrick Guest; a daughter, Mary Elizabeth Looney of Middleburg; two sons, Raymond R. Guest III of Bradenton, Fla., and William G. Yarborough III of Asheville, N.C.; three sisters, Elizabeth Guest Stevens of Washington, Virginia Guest Valentine of Richmond, Laetitia Guest Oppenheim of Paris; and a brother, Achille Murat Guest of Fredericksburg. A funeral will be held on Wednesday at 11 a.m. at the Cunningham Chapel in Millwood, with burial following at the Old Chapel cemetery in Millwood.

- Diana Guest (1909-1996); was a sculptress/stonecarver and married three times, most often cited as having married Allen Manning. Here are her husband and children...

m1. *Marc Sevastopoulo

Marriage: 1934

Status: Divorced - 1937

Children: 1. Diana Lorraine Sevastopoulo

m2. Count Jean de la Valdene

Marriage: 1943

Status: Children:

1. Guy Winston de Gaillard de la Valdene

2. (Lorraine) Aimee de Gaillard de la Valdene

m3. Allen Manning Marriage: 1970

Here she is, on herself...

"I was born and brought up in the country in England. My parents, Amy Phipps and Frederick Guest, met in India and married a year later in London. They settled in a beautiful Queen Anne house near Oakham named Burley on the Hill. It was made of grey stone and stood on a high hill overlooking a forest of ancient trees and a series of fish ponds. There were all sorts of animals, from polo ponies to sheep. I had a Shetland pony named Togo to ride and a mare named Milk Maid to take us to the village every day in a tub-shaped pony cart. The woods were filled with bluebells and ferns and my brothers and I crawled down he rabbit paths. On moonlit nights, I used to sit on my window ledge and watch the rabbits play on the lawn below. Near the chapel attached to the house, there was a dog cemetery. Though I had my brothers, I was often lonely and greatly preferred being with my dog or on my horse than with my rather strict nurses or governess. I think this is why I instinctively carve animals and birds." (opening, Preface by Diana Guest, 1992).

Who says you can't go home again? Not Diana Guest. And certainly not Old Westbury Gardens, which is benefiting from the sculptor's attachment to one of her childhood haunts.
Born in England - her father was a Member of Parliament and her mother, Amy Phipps, was the sister of John S. Phipps, whose estate is part of the gardens - Miss Guest grew up in neighboring Roslyn, but ''spent so many happy hours as a child and young girl'' in the gardens that she remembers them fondly. Accordingly, Miss Guest, who divides her time between Paris and Palm Beach, Fla., and whose works have been exhibited in museums around the world, has donated 27 pieces of her sculpture to Old Westbury Gardens for an exhibition and fund-raising sale... (By BARBARA DELATINER; "Long Island Guide: On the Fly"; published: October 18, 1981)

2. Helen Phipps ( - March 26, 1934, Pasadena, CA) married Bradly Martin, Jr.

Herman B. Duryea built an estate in Old Westbury known as "Knole". In 1910 he sold the property to Henry Phipps who bought it as a wedding gift for his daughter Helen's marriage to Bradley Martin. Knole is a 40,000-square-foot brilliant Palladian-style mansion designed by Carrere and Hastings (who also designed the Frick Collection and The New York Public Library), in 1903 for Herman B. Duryea, Esq. Set on approximately 32 private acres of expansive woodland, cascading lawn and magnificent French and Italian gardens, this palatial, formal structure is an elegant, preserved architectural testament to the opulent lifestyle of the turn of the century’s American aristocracy.

In 1897, In the midst of a nationwide depression, the Bradley Martin Sr.s threw a "$1,000,000 goldplate" dinner which aroused the protests of pastors and reformers in 1910, a lavish party at New York's recently opened Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, where they had a suite decorated to look like Versailles. 900 guests, dressed in Louis XV period costumes, consumed 60 cases of champagne.

On February 10, 1897, just before the New Astoria addition to the hotel was opened, the historic Bradley-Martin ball was held in the Waldorf. No such splendid costume ball had ever been given, in this country at least, and the list of invited guests, between eight and nine hundred persons of the inner circle of New York Society, was long the roll of the élite, to be on which was a guarantee of one's social standing. A supper followed the ball and two hundred and fifty selected waiters were needed to serve this elaborate meal which began at one o'clock in the morning and lasted until five. Great secrecy was preserved about the preparations for the function, and, as it was rumored that a bomb had been placed on the steps of the Bradley-Martin house, the police took great precautions by scrutinizing each guest as he or she presented his or her card. There had been some criticism about the immense outlay of money being lavished on the ball, so Mrs. Bradley Martin announced that the reason she had given it was to provide work for dressmakers, florists and caterers, and that if the criticisms were persisted in she would move to England. This threat she not long afterward carried into effect.

Nov. 8, 1926 "Time" announced: Engaged. Henry Bradley Martin, son of U. S. Capitalist Bradley Martin, and grandson of the late Henry Phipps (steel); to Valerie French, granddaughter of the late Field Marshal French, Earl of Ypres; at London. ... Henry Bradley Martin a book collector and a grandson of Henry Phipps, died Saturday at his home in Key Biscayne, Fla., after a brief illness. He was 82 years old and also lived in Manhattan... (NY Times; April 26, 1988)

Bradley Martin and Helen Phipps were married in 1904. Their four sons were: Henry Bradley Martin (1906-1988), twins Esmond and Alastair Martin, and H. Townsend Bradley Martin.

(Bradley Martin, Jr.'s sister Cornelia Martin (? - May 19, 1961) married William George Robert Craven, the 4th Earl of Craven. That line can be seen at

Here is the obituary of their son Esmond Bradley Martin:

Es died June 16, 2002, at his family estate, Knole, in Old Westbury, N.Y. He was a grandson of Henry Phipps, the Pittsburgh steel magnate and partner of Andrew Carnegie. He came to Princeton from Deane School in Santa Barbara. During his four years at Princeton, Es roomed with his twin brother, Al. Es majored in philosophy and was a member of Tower Club.
According to a NY Times article: "He had an astonishing mind, alive with dynamism and originality that knew no horizons." He was, among other things, a brilliant chess player, a discerning philatelist, a well-known orchid cultivator, as well as a collector of fine watches, books, and English antique furniture. He was a talented amateur tennis player, having once even bested Pancho Gonzales. For many years he was the world's fly-fishing record holder for Atlantic salmon. He excelled in his financial affairs, successfully wildcatting in gas, oil, and other investments. Es is survived by his brother, Alastair B. Martin; his daughter, Serina Martin Sanchez; his sons, Esmond Martin Jr. and Peter A. B. Martin; five grandchildren (including Carlos Esmond Sanchez MD born 1976); and three great-grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends its sympathy. The Princeton Class of 1938 PAW May 14th, 2003 (An inventory filed by the co-preliminary executor values the testamentary estate at over $33 million. However, it is also alleged that the decedent by his exercise of various limited powers under his mother's Will and a living trust agreement controlled another $120 million).

''We would prefer for Knole to be in the hands of a family that could live and use the house the way it was intended to, which is for a family,'' said Jorge Sanchez, Mr. Martin's son-in-law. Though her parents separated, , Serina Martin Sanchez, Mr. Sanchez's wife, spent most of her childhood there along with her brothers, Esmond Martin Jr., a world authority on the rhinoceros, living in Kenya, and Peter Martin, a painter and writer in the south of France

3. John Shaffer Phipps (1874 - 1958) the heir to the Phipps fortune and owner of Grace Shipping and (as were his brothers) a director of the U S Steel Corporation (now UXS). Known as "Jay", in 1897 he married Margarita Celia Grace, the daughter of Michael Grace of Kilkenny, Ireland, who, with his brother William, founded the Grace Shipping Lines in South America. John and Margarita had four children: John Henry Howard, Peggy, Michael, and Hubert Phipps. Phipps purchased an old 160-acre Quaker farm on Long Island where he built a large mansion designed by George Abraham Crawley with alterations by Horace Trumbauer called "Westbury House" with magnificent gardens that following his death was became a non-profit organization that today is known as Westbury House & Gardens and is open to the public. (Old Westbury House, was the residence, seen in the Hitchcok film "North By Northwest" as Mr. Lester Townsend' s home; today, the property is open as Old Westbury Gardens).

About the children of and Jay and Margaret Phipps:

- Margaret "Peggy" Helen Phipps () Time of Oct. 13, 1930 announced: Married. Margaret Helen Phipps, granddaughter of late Steelman Philanthropist Henry Phipps (died two weeks ago), cousin of Poloist Winston Guest, niece of Socialite Mrs. Bradley Martin; and James Gordon Douglas Jr., son of Mrs. Grafton Winthrop Minot of New York; at the Cathedral of the Incarnation, Garden City, L.I. Margaret subsequently married Etienne Bougner. Her home was "Orchard Hill" in Westbury, L.I. As Peggy Phipps Bougner she co authored Halcyon Days.

- Michael Phipps () married Muriel Lane. He lived in Palm Beach at the time of his death.

- Hubert Beaumont Phipps () married Carla Gordon and subsequently Lady Phoebe Pleydell-Bouverie. The children of Hubert and Phoebe are: Hubert Grace Phipps and Melissa Adeane Phipps. They lived near Marshall, Virginia.

- John Phipps () married Eleanor Klapp; they lived at Ayuvilia Plantation. Tallahassee, FL, at the time of his death.

4. Henry Carnegie Phipps (1879 - 1953) was a capitalist and real estate developer who built apartment buidings in Sutton Place, Manhattan. He married (1907) Gladys Mills Phipps (1883 - 1970), was an socialist, sportspwoman, Thoroughbred racehorse owner and breeder who began the Phipps family dynasty in American horse racing. Born in New York, Grace was the daughter of Ruth Livingston and Darius Ogden Mills (and the sister of Ogden Livingson Mills who served as the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury). Although an avid golfer and ice skater, she was first and foremost a lover of horses who brought the family into the sport of Thoroughbred racing in 1926 when she and her brother Ogden L, Mills established the highly successful Wheatley Stable. Their Long Island estate designed by John Russell Pope for William L. Stow, then owned by George Crocker, and remodled for the Phippses in 1918 by Horace Trumbauer was named "Spring Hill."

The children of Henry C. and Gladys M. Phipps are:

a. Ogden Phipps (November 26, 1908-April 21, 2002); in November of 1937, he married wealthy New York socialite Lillian Bostwick. He was a stockbroker, court tennis champion and Hall of Fame member, Thoroughbred hourse racing executive and owner/breeder, and an art collector and philantrhopist. During WW II, Ogden Phipps served with the US Navy. After the war he became a partner in the prominent brokerage firm, Smith Barney & Co. then used his training to head up Bessemer Securities Corp., the private holding company that managed the fortune left to Phipps family members by their grandfather. He was 93 years old when he died in 2002 at Good Samaritan Medical Center in West Palm Beach.

- - -

The children of Ogden and Lillian Phipps are:

- Robert L. Phipps ()

- Cynthia Phipps (born 1945) involved in Thoroughbred racing.

- Ogden Mills Phipps () known as "Dinny"; involved in Thoroughbred racing.

- - -

b. Barbara Phipps (1911-1987) married Stuart Symington Janney, Jr. (1907 - Sep 24, 1988) Stuart Symington Janney Jr., 81, one of Maryland's most prominent thoroughbred owners and breeders, was killed in an auto accident Sept. 22 after suffering an apparent heart attack. Mr. Janney owned and bred such racing stars as Ruffian and Private Terms after a steeplechase riding career that included four victories in the Maryland Hunt Cup. Not until this spring did he retire from riding. Mr. Janney owned the 370-acre Locust Hill Farm in Glyndon, Md., but he regularly would send his best mares to Kentucky for breeding. So it was that Shenanigans in 1972 came to foal Ruffian, etc... Their children include Stuart Symington Janey III (born Aug. 30, 1948; Resident: Butler, Md. ... Family: Lynn (wife); two children, Emily and Matthew). (Their niece is Allison Brook Janney (born Nov. 19, 1959 in Dayton OH); who played C J Cregg on "The West Wing.") S S and Barbara Janney Jr also have three daughters, Mrs. Rufus M.G. Williams of 3012 Butler Road, Glyndon, MD 21071; Mrs. William C. Trimble Jr. of Owings Mills, Md ...and [?]

The following is about the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William C Trimble, Jr....

NY Times... Published: October 30, 1988. The wedding of Margery Mills Trimble, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William C. Trimble Jr. of Owings Mills, Md., to Richard Bayard Kennelly Jr., the son of Mr. Kennelly of Claremont, Calif., and Mrs. Tevita Puloka of Nukualofa, Tonga, and Arlington, Mass., took place yesterday at St. Thomas's Episcopal Church in Garrison, Md. The wedding of Margery Mills Trimble, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William C. Trimble Jr. of Owings Mills, Md., to Richard Bayard Kennelly Jr., the son of Mr. Kennelly of Claremont, Calif., and Mrs. Tevita Puloka of Nukualofa, Tonga, and Arlington, Mass., took place yesterday at St. Thomas's Episcopal Church in Garrison, Md. The Rev. William Warwick Rich performed the ceremony. Regan Ralph was the bride's maid of honor, and George W. W. Packard was the best man. The bride was presented at the Bachelors Cotillon in Baltimore and graduated from the Garrison Forest School and Harvard College. She was until recently the head teacher at the Penn Wynne Day Care Center in Penn Wynne, Pa. Her father is counsel at the Baltimore law firm of Semmes, Bowen & Semmes. Mrs. Kennelly is a granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. William C. Trimble of Brooklandville, Md. Mr. Trimble, a retired Foreign Service officer, is a former Ambassador to Cambodia. She is also a granddaughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Stuart S. Janney Jr., who owned the Locust Hill Farm racing stable in Glyndon, Md. Mrs. Kennelly is a great-granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Carnegie Phipps of Westbury, L.I., who as owners of the Wheatley Stable in Westbury were leading figures in American horse breeding and racing. The bridegroom, who won a silver medal on the United States rowing team in the Olympic Games in South Korea in September, graduated from St. Paul's School in Concord, N.H., and cum laude from Harvard College. He was until recently a legal assistant at the Philadelphia law firm of Drinker, Biddle & Reath. His father is a private investor. His stepfather is a Methodist minister. The bridegroom is a grandson of Mrs. John G. Williams of Gladwyne, Pa., and the late Mr. Williams, who was a senior partner at Drinker, Biddle & Reath. He is a great-grandson of Arthur Edwin Kennelly, an electrical engineer who was Thomas A. Edison's chief electrical assistant and a co-discoverer of the E layer of the ionosphere.

Rufus M.G. Williams, Jr. is a self-Employed Artist residing at 220 South Street Rockport, Massachusetts.

- - - -

c. Sonia Phipps () married Herbert Farrell Jr of Sandusky Ohio, and subsequently Count Hans Christoph Scherr-Thoss of Dobrau, Silesia.

Following her brother's death in 1937, Gladys Mills Phipps inherited her parent's mansion at Staatsburg NY. In 1938, she gave the house and 192 acres to the State of New York.

5. Howard Phipps (1881 - 1981) married Harriet Dyer Price (1901-1981) in 1931. They lived at an estated on Long Island near the other Phipps family estates called Erchless. Howard Phipps (Sr.), a capitalist involved in real estate ventures was president of the Phipps Houses organization, dedicated to affordable housing in New York City . Harriet was a civic actavist and involved with the Girl Scouts; her mother and Julia Gordon Lowe (the founder of Girl Scouts) were dear friends and Harriet called Ms Lowe "Aunt Daisy". The Howard Phipps Foundation was established by Phipps' wife Harriet in 1967. Phipps was the youngest of five children of Henry Phipps, whose fortune was built through the ownership of Bessemer Steel. The Phipps family also owns the Bessemer Trust Co.

Among their children...

Howard Phipps Jr. (born 1934 ) maried Mary N. Stone in 1959; the following is about this Mrs. Phipps... "Everyone loved Mrs. Howard Phipps, for with all her pedigree of American-grand as you can get, she was a warm and friendly hostess, cheerful, enthusiastic as well as brimming with grace – the best flower in any garden. They came away brimming with nothing but kind words and wonder about not only the garden and the house, but especially the hostess." (The Social Diary, 10/2/03)

Their son Howard Phipps III married Terry Beesley, the daughter of J. Alan Beesley, the UN Ambassador from Canada. Their daughter Martha married Walter L.

* * * *

Henry Phipps believed that those who have achieved great wealth should give back for the public good and create institutions dedicated to that purpose. As such he was involved with a number of philanthropic causes, the best known of which is the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Schenley Park, Pittsburgh, which was an 1893 gift to the city.

Other Phipps family members include...

Serina Martin Sanchez (b. 1948)
Carlos Esmond Sanchez, M.D. (b. 1976)

Among Henry Phipps' many benevolent works, he also funded the Phipps Institute for the Study, Treatment and Prevention of Tuberculosis at the University of Pennsylvania, and the Henry Phipps Psychiatric Service at Johns Hopkins Hospital, which in 1912 made possible the first inpatient facility in the United States for the mentally ill constructed as part of an acute care hospital. An advocate of decent housing for the poor, in 1905 he funded the non-profit Phipps Houses to build affordable housing in New York City. Still operating to this day, his great-grandson, Stuart Symington Janney III, sits on the Board of Trustees of Phipps Houses. (Note that the Syminton and Frick families are also related).

Henry Phipps was one of the pioneer investors in Florida real estate. At one time, he and his family owned one-third of the town of Palm Beach, 45 kilometres of oceanfront between Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale, prime bayfront property in downtown Miami, and 12,000 hectares of land in Martin County. The Phipps family donated to the town of Palm Beach one of the most significant gifts in county history: an ocean-to-lake frontage property that is now known as Phipps Park.

Henry Phipps died 22 Sep 1930 at his estate "Bonnie Brink" in the Lakefield section of Great Neck, Long Island, survived by his widow, nee Anne C. Shaffer; two daughters, Mrs. Frederick Guest and Mrs. Bradley Martin, and three sons, John S., Henry C., and Howard Phipps. He was buried on Sept 24th at Westbury, L.I. (Protestant Episcopal Church of the Advent).

Rich Kids, by Barbara Klaw and Halcyon Days, by Peggie Phipps Boegner and Richard Gachot, chronicle the lives of the young Phippses