March 9, 1843 – May 16, 1900
James Ernest Schwartz was born March 9, 1843 in Allegheny. He was the son of Jacob Loeser Schwartz and Evaline McDowell. He received his education in the Pittsburgh schools and at the Western University, now Pitt. At the age of 18 he began his business career in his father's office, but the Civil War interrupted--he served in the 14th Pa. Regt. Volunteers and re-enlisting, in Knapps Pennsylvania Battery A. His eventual rank was captain.
James Ernest Schwartz was president of the Pennsylvania Lead Company, which had as an antecedent firm Fahnstock, Hazlett and Schwartz (the Schwartz being Jacob, James’ father). The Pennsylvania Lead company, J. E. Schwartz, president; B. W. Doyle, secretary; Robert Wardrop, treasurer; F. C. Blake, superintendent, was organized in 1872, for the purpose of refining lead, silver and gold. The works comprise nine acres at the junction between the Pan Handle and the Pittsburgh, Chartiers and Youghiogheny Railroad. The' President of the company is J. E. Schwartz; Secretary, J. B. Arnold. The works are located at Mansfield Station, on the Panhandle....
He was President of the Pittsburgh, Chartiers and Youghiogheny railroad. The company was incorporated in October, 1881, and organized with J. E. Schwartz, president; George S. Griscom, vice-president and general manager; R. T. Hill, secretary. (It connected Pittsburgh with the coke regions).
He also purchased the Mingo Furnace of Salt Lake City, Utah, and remained president of it as well, until this and the Pennsylvania Lead Company were consolidated into the American Smelting and Refining Co. in 1898.
He was a member of the Duquesne Club. And one of the original subscribers to the Pittsburgh Orchestra. And a member of the Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce. Schwartz served on the board of the Pittsburgh and Allegheny Free Dispensary along with other SFF&HC members: A V Holmes, J A Lippincott, Reuben Miller, John Ewing.
* * *
In 1868, James Ernest Schwartz married Emma Nicholson, in Pittsburgh, PA.
Their family included the following:
John Loeser Schwartz (1869-) married Julia Lewis Clark (the daughter of Robert Neilson Clark and Mary Ann Lewis of Philadelphia, who was born on 6 Feb. 1885 in Leadville, Colorado). They had at least the following children:
- Mary Clark Schwartz (1911-) (later Black)
- John Loeser Schwartz, Jr. (1914-2000) (later Black).
Jack died Jan. 16 in Wyndmoor, Pa. He prepared for Princeton at St. Albans and Kent School. At Princeton he majored in economics, rowed on the 150-lb. crew freshman through junior years, became assistant coach in his senior year, and was a member of Colonial Club. He and the former Mary Timanus were married on Feb. 18, 1939. Their first son, John L. C. Black '63, was born two years later. Then came WWII. Jack joined the Navy, was assigned to Pacific Naval Air Operations, and emerged in 1945 as a lt.-comdr. He and a partner founded Alcorn & Black, a fuel and farm supply firm in Ambler, Pa., and the Blacks moved to nearby Blue Bell. In the late 1970s, Jack sold his interest in Alcorn & Black and he and "Timmy" moved to Springhouse Estates, a retirement community in Lower Gwynedd, Pa. They spent five years running the Blue Bell Country Store; Jack also operated a tree nursery and served briefly as acting director of the nearby Morris Arboretum. The Blacks' eldest son, J. L. C., died in 1993. "Timmy" died in Dec. 1998-just two months before they could celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary. Survivors include three other sons (Timothy, Robert, and Herbert), 11 grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren. Princeton: The Class of 1935PAW June 7th, 2000
Their summer home was “Hillcrest” at Port Hope, Ontario. There is some indication that by 1920, possibly as a reaction to anti-German sentiment during the Great War, the family had Americanized their last name to Black, black being the English equivalent of schwartz. They were by that time living in Washington DC.
More about "Hillcrest"...The story of The Hillcrest is steeped in romance. It begins in 1874 when James Gooderham Worts built it for his daughter Emilie Ardelia Worts. She married David Smart, a Port Hope barrister, and the Hillcrest was their wedding gift. The home was sold out of the Smart family and in 1900, Norman B. Gould of Port Hope sold Hillcrest to Frank N. Schwartz and James E. Schwartz, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A deed poll dated 1917 is the first document to refer to the home as Hillcrest. Hillcrest remained in the Schwartz/Black family until the 1970's. The Hillcrest is one of Port Hope's most architecturally stunning houses. It is perched atop 15 acres of land overlooking Lake Ontario. Throughout the centuries, this exquisite home with its pillared portico, picket fences and lushly landscaped grounds has been an unforgettable landmark on the horizon. Bringing us to the present, The Hillcrest opened its doors as a fully equipped inn and spa in 2000 as a sister location to the Ste. Anne’s Spa. In 2004, Robin Dines purchased The Hillcrest and started a new chapter in its history, branching off as its own stand-alone destination spa. We invite you to stop by for a visit and see the beautiful house and grounds for yourself!
- - -
Frank Nicholson Schwartz (1873-) Graduated from Yale. married Leila Clarkson, lived at 5600 Northumberland Avenue. Was a member of the Pittsburgh Club and the Pittsburgh Golf Club. Had at least the following children:
- James Ernest Schwartz (1902) (later Black) They are listed in the New York Social Register of 1930 at the home of Mr and Mrs E F Darrell, as follows: (Darrell, Mr. & Mrs. Edward Fairbairn, 133 E. 64 & "Cove Lawn," Stonington, Ct. Mr. & Mrs. James Ernest Black Mr. Richard D. Darrell Mr. George H. Darrell Mr. Edward F. Darrell, Jr.)
More about Edward Fairbairn Darrell...(Obituary, notice that the Blacks are not named indicating that a death or divorce may have occured)...The New York Times, January 23, 1941, excerpted: obituary of Edward F. Darrell, died day before (?) Edward Fairbairn Darrell of 133 E. 64th St., New York City and Stonington, Connecticut. Died St. Luke's Hospital, N.Y.C. In 1902 founded E.F. Darrell & Co., New York City. Member of New York Produce Exchange, President of St. George's Society. Born: Hamilton, Bermuda, son of former chief justice Richard Darrell of Bermuda and Mary Anne Moore Godet Darrell. Leaves a widow, former Sarah Stone McEckron and sons, Richard D. Darrell, Edward F. Darrell, Jr., George H. Darrell, daughters Mrs. Dorothy Harvey and Mrs. Emily Atwood. (Source: New York City Public Library)
- Clarkson Schwartz (1904) (later Black).
Their summer home was Sutherland Farm, Cobourg, Ontario. As with his brother, the last name was changed to Black before 1920.
* * *
In the spring of 1900, James Ernest Schwartz went to Europe as a rest cure, to recover from a partial stroke. However, he suffered a second stroke and died abroad, in Dresden, Germany, on May 16, 1900.
James Ernest Schwartz was 46 at the time of the Johnstown Flood.